Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
387-397 King St E and 6 Madison Ave | 2 & 8 fl | U/C
(06-01-2016, 11:03 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-23-2014, 09:12 AM)spanamaniac Wrote: Me too.  I had just assumed it was the entire empty frontage along King St.

There was a variance request for the property back in 2013:
http://www.kitchener.ca/en/Calendar/Down...7ec7142747

There is no site plan attached, but one noteworthy fact is that they asked for two parking variances: one to reducing parking from 60 to 56 spots (accepted) and one to reduce street-facing parking setback from 4.5m to 0m (rejected).  The outline from the GIS system above would match that, it looks like they have the parking next to the building and abutting King St.

But I think the main part of this project is on hold in any case, we'll see what (if anything) eventually comes of it.

Do I understand that to mean there would be parking for cars between the storefront(s) and the sidewalk (buffered by landscaping?).  That seems crazy.  Or is it more likely that there would be a parking lot to the "west" of the proposed building?

Reading over the City of Kitchener document I think the developer was trying to build a parking lot that came right up to King St (0m setback), and the city said that's not the purpose of a mixed use corridor. The 4.5m setback I'm pretty sure is designed to be so large that no developer would waste that much space on landscaping, and instead build the building right up to King St. The city says a landscape buffer because that's technically possible, but I don't think that's really the intent.
I agree. The city wants to actively discourage street-abutting parking. In the worst case they'll accept a 4.5m landscaped buffer zone, but really they want buildings up to the property line abutting the street.
You could fit a creative storefront into 4.5m...
Absolutely. Some of the apartment buildings I see in Tokyo are narrower than 4.5m!

But if the developer can't use that stretch for parking, it'll lose him maybe 10-15 parking spots, and that means he'll have to ask for a larger parking quantity variance, or else build parking into the building itself.
Has anybody seen a render of the apartment building and supermarket proposed for King St E between Cedar and Madison?  Some minor variances were approved yesterday at the Committee of Adjustment, according to the Record.  It must be four years ago that I posted the news that there was going to be a supermarket at that location, although at the time I thought it was going to be another Asian supermarket.
Wow ... that property has been vacant for more than 40 years! This looks like it’s far enough now that it will really happen.

The combination of Drewlo and this project will really give a boost to this area.

(10-16-2018, 09:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Has anybody seen a render of the apartment building and supermarket proposed for King St E between Cedar and Madison?  Some minor variances were approved yesterday at the Committee of Adjustment, according to the Record.  It must be four years ago that I posted the news that there was going to be a supermarket at that location, although at the time I thought it was going to be another Asian supermarket.

From the architect's site:   James Fryett Architect Inc. 

http://www.fryettarchitect.com/portfolio...ng-street/

[Image: GP12X9p.jpg]
Ahhh, OK.
I think that has been posted before.
(10-16-2018, 10:34 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Ahhh, OK.
 I think that has been posted before.

thats not eight stories though.
The Record article also makes it sound like the supermarket would be a separate two storey builiding (offices above), so perhaps the proposal has changed.
Moved everything over here.
Permits have been submitted for the following:
Permit No: 18129755
Permit is for a foundation only for an underground parking garage for future two storey commercial and eight storey residential building.

Permit No: 18131638
Permit is for a new 2 storey commercial building with a grocery store on the ground floor and offices on the second floor. Foundation permit # 18-129755

Permit No: 18131636
Permit is for a new 8 storey condominium building with a parking garage below. Foundation permit #18-129755

The render is a five-story building, the building permit is 2+8, so the design has changed rather a lot. No new renders to be found yet?
It's great to see a number of projects in the pipeline for the Market District.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »