Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
387-397 King St E and 6 Madison Ave | 2 & 8 fl | U/C
There's a board up on the corner of King and Madison with a new render for this project. Appears to match the site plan and zone change, so I think this is our first look at the real project.

I wish the setbacks from King St weren't so huge, they look like such a waste of space. I like wide sidewalks, but that appears to be excessive, and results in this weird street wall discontinuity with the building beside (right edge of the render).

Thanks for posting this!

I like the condo building, but I wish the other one was more than two floors. 3 or 4 would be a good balance
Wow this looks pretty nice, compared to what I was expecting. I agree with Spokes, the small building should be taller. It also looks a bit bland to me, I think should be broken up a bit visually to look more like several smaller shops combined.
Does anyone know the sequence of the development here? Any chance the two storey building could grow later on if planned in a subsequent stage
(09-17-2019, 02:38 PM)Spokes Wrote: Does anyone know the sequence of the development here?  Any chance the two storey building could grow later on if planned in a subsequent stage

It looks like the two storey building is what they're doing first, just from the fact it's already excavated while the condo part of the lot remains mostly untouched since demolition.
.... not even using a local agent.
The setback could allow for nice outdoor patio space for restaurants or bars. At least it's not for parking!

27,000 sqft of retail space looks like the total for the condo building and the retain building footprints. So as much as I was hoping that there was a supermarket (BT?) signed up for this space that does not look to be the case.

(09-17-2019, 03:56 PM)Watdot Wrote: .... not even using a local agent.

The developer is from Toronto, is he not?  The agent is probably his go-to guy.
(09-17-2019, 04:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The setback could allow for nice outdoor patio space for restaurants or bars. At least it's not for parking!

27,000 sqft of retail space looks like the total for the condo building and the retain building footprints. So as much as I was hoping that there was a supermarket (BT?) signed up for this space that does not look to be the case.

The supermarket is to go into the two storey building, or at least that was the way I understood it.
(09-17-2019, 05:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-17-2019, 03:56 PM)Watdot Wrote: .... not even using a local agent.

The developer is from Toronto, is he not?  The agent is probably his go-to guy.

Probably, but it may take longer for the right number of units to be sold. Not sure how much reputation the builder has in this area and I will hazard to guess the broker has almost nil. There's a lot of competition at the moment.
Given the lack of decent student housing (at either level of post secondary) I have a feeling that alot of outside investors will eat this kind of project up.
(09-17-2019, 08:12 PM)Watdot Wrote:
(09-17-2019, 05:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The developer is from Toronto, is he not?  The agent is probably his go-to guy.

Probably, but it may take longer for the right number of units to be sold.  Not sure how much reputation the builder has in this area and I will hazard to guess the broker has almost nil.  There's a lot of competition at the moment.

None whatever, afaik.
(09-17-2019, 05:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-17-2019, 04:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The setback could allow for nice outdoor patio space for restaurants or bars. At least it's not for parking!

The supermarket is to go into the two storey building, or at least that was the way I understood it.

Yes. But my point is that all the space is available at this time, so there is no supermarket tenant secured. At best we have some suitable space for an urban supermarket. Finding a taker for it may still prove a challenge.

(09-18-2019, 12:50 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-17-2019, 05:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The supermarket is to go into the two storey building, or at least that was the way I understood it.

Yes. But my point is that all the space is available at this time, so there is no supermarket tenant secured. At best we have some suitable space for an urban supermarket. Finding a taker for it may still prove a challenge.

Isn't this B&T's project? If that is true, it seems reasonable to assume which grocery will occupy the space.
(09-17-2019, 02:23 PM)mastermind Wrote: It also looks a bit bland to me, I think should be broken up a bit visually to look more like several smaller shops combined.

Yeah, agreed. While I'm very happy to see more dense, mixed-use development in this area, the street-level part of this development does look awfully bland and boxy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »