Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
387-397 King St E and 6 Madison Ave | 2 & 8 fl | U/C
Construction fencing is now down. Both buildings look decent. Set behind large flowerbeds, is this a city setback requirement?

Based on the signs, it looks like all the retails spaces are rented already, which is pretty impressive (maybe lower cost than, say, the space at Young Condos). Or maybe BT will operate some of those themselves?

Looks great !!
This one turned out better than I expected. Still think it would have looked nicer if they had just continues the Red brick on the 7th & 8th floors. The commercial building feels pretty bland. It could use an awning, but at least they put the main entrance on the sidewalk side of the building and don't have fake windows like the Farmboy in waterloo.

Dear god look at that monstrosity behind this one though.
I'm just SO partial to the brick! Amazing to see that they have a number of shops already lined up for the space.

I'd love to see different angle of the front sidewalk - it looks like the tree planters are taking up 90% of the walking space, and I know that can't be true, but it looks so odd from the direction the photos were taken.
(03-05-2024, 02:07 PM)westwardloo Wrote: This one turned out better than I expected. Still think it would have looked nicer if they had just continues the Red brick on the 7th & 8th floors. The commercial building feels pretty bland. It could use an awning, but at least they put the main entrance on the sidewalk side of the building and don't have fake windows like the Farmboy in waterloo.

Dear god look at that monstrosity behind this one though.

Yeah this building isn't great, but it isn't grossly offensive like the Drewlo monstrosity. If me or any colleagues designed a beautiful building next to that mess I'd feel embarrassed.
(03-05-2024, 02:43 PM)SF22 Wrote: I'm just SO partial to the brick! Amazing to see that they have a number of shops already lined up for the space.

I'd love to see different angle of the front sidewalk - it looks like the tree planters are taking up 90% of the walking space, and I know that can't be true, but it looks so odd from the direction the photos were taken.

There is a normal sidewalk in front of the planters, and maybe 2/3 of that between the planters and the buildings. It's a bit surprising that they didn't leave space for a patio, for example.
Trivial issue but folks can we please cool it with the bike shape bike racks.

(03-05-2024, 05:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-05-2024, 02:43 PM)SF22 Wrote: I'm just SO partial to the brick! Amazing to see that they have a number of shops already lined up for the space.

There is a normal sidewalk in front of the planters, and maybe 2/3 of that between the planters and the buildings. It's a bit surprising that they didn't leave space for a patio, for example.

Good to know, thanks! There are so many patios along King on the other side of Frederick, it would be great to see a continuation of that trend in the Scott/Cedar/Madison stretch. Especially if they still kept a tree planted on each side; in 10-15 years, you'd have a naturally-shaded patio space to enjoy.
(03-06-2024, 08:15 AM)cherrypark Wrote: Trivial issue but folks can we please cool it with the bike shape bike racks.

Maybe we should have Hummer-shaped bike racks!
I walked past today and the planters they made really stood out. Why would they make them so unnecessarily large? They could have shrunk those by half and created more sidewalk space and still had room for the trees. Plus it looks like they don't have any plans to put flowers or anything in there since it's just filled with wood chips (not that they can't add flowers after, but these wouldn't be City of Kitchener property so it's unlikely they'll want to deal with flower care) meaning they're likely going to get filled with Tim Hortons cups, used needles and cigarette butts, bags of dog shit and other assorted trash. Do no architects think anymore?

They should have did something like this which would have allowed more space for pedestrians, benches, waste bins, Hummer shaped bike racks, snow piles and so on rather than concrete boxes with wood chips and rubbish. Only that would cost money, so of course they'll go with the cheapest option.

[Image: pqanGpg.jpeg]
(03-06-2024, 06:37 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(03-06-2024, 08:15 AM)cherrypark Wrote: Trivial issue but folks can we please cool it with the bike shape bike racks.

Maybe we should have Hummer-shaped bike racks!

Like camouflage for bike infra.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »