Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Uber in Waterloo Region
(07-23-2015, 02:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-23-2015, 01:50 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Taken from The Record, January 16, 1015.

But that information is at least a thousand years old!   Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin

Going manually through the tablets to find the cost per chariot was a real slog  Smile

Here's a graph of taxi license costs in Toronto:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1780260/toront...-to-blame/

Sounds like those are now cheaper in Toronto than here.
Heated discussions in the Comments section on TheRecord, ha
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5747...oo-region/

Now, I'm surprised I haven't seen a referral link/code posted, that's great!!

RoamWithUber is a $25 promo code (not a referral code) if anyone hasn't added it to their account. I think it's still valid and you don't need to be Rogers customer to add the code

I use m.uber.com on my BlackBerry as there's no app, works equally well
Outhit strikes out über Uber 
Quote:I couldn't get a ride. No Cars Available I was told again and again. All Cars are in Use. Please Check Back Soon!

What did he expect on day one?

P.S. Where did he want to go?
Quote:I had planned to ride from downtown Kitchener to the Conestoga Mall in Waterloo. The app estimated a fare between $17 and $23. If Uber ever gets me there, maybe I'll tell you how it went.
Perhaps he should have used a GRT bus for more reliable service at 1/10th the cost (or waited for the LRT he loves to hate.)
CKCO's doing the same thing, claiming a 26-minute wait because no cars were available.
(07-24-2015, 06:17 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: CKCO's doing the same thing, claiming a 26-minute wait because no cars were available.

The surprise with CKCO was that the taxi cost less than Uber (not including tip).
570 news said it was bad too.

I'm sure the first taxi operations weren't that great either. That's why they had to be licensed in the first place.
I was going to try taking it to work this morning for the heck of it and there were no vehicles available until mid day. Honestly, they shouldn't offer a free weekend unless they have the cars to support it.
I would think that the free thing completely maxed out capacity, not the other way around. Notice how the free donuts usually disappear off the table pretty quick? Smile
These debates are worldwide and endless. Here is an article on Uber in the Hamptons in NY.

Same arguments, different places ... and yet Uber grows and grows because they serve the customer and customer needs not the taxi driver/plate owner.

Muffled in the Hamptons, Uber Makes Some Noise

[Image: sBpQi4M.jpg]
(07-25-2015, 07:46 AM)MacBerry Wrote: These debates are worldwide and endless.

These debates have also been waged and lost in many other areas, most recently Amazon passes Wal-Mart as largest retailer (albeit in stock market value if not sales volume). 

The ranks of travel agents, book stores, DVD sales/rental stores, pawn shops, etc. have been greatly diminished or disappeared outright as a result of efficiencies brought about by disintermediation and the Internet. 

The, er, ranks of conventional taxis will be soon be joining them. The owners of taxi plates need to get over it; their comfortable monopoly is coming to an end.
From Kijiji:

UBER NEEDS NEW DRIVERS ASAP!! EARN OVER $40/HOUR

Date Listed: 27-Jul-15

Address: Kitchener, ON

Weird. That doesn't seem legit...

I love driving and I often do just for fun, but I hate people. Smile
Not sure if it was posted but the region is gonna go after Uber drivers with fines up to $25,000 for bylaw infringement.
As per the Record. http://m.therecord.com/news-story/575203...loo-region
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »