Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber Street Reconstruction - College to Union
Any thoughts as to why this bridge was built with the 3rd rail option, yet when thet Margaret St bridge 2 rail plan came to light there was a scramble at the city to review that decision. I ask because it appears contradictory.

The bridge is very nice, I think, but those chair and shoe icons are super tacky.
(01-01-2015, 05:11 PM)Drake Wrote: Any thoughts as to why this bridge was built with the 3rd rail option, yet when thet Margaret St bridge 2 rail plan came to light there was a scramble at the city to review that decision. I ask because it appears contradictory.

Its next to future transit hub, need bypass tracks?
Looking good!!
I thought they said they could squeeze 3 tracks under the existing Margaret design if they had to.
(01-03-2015, 11:07 AM)Canard Wrote: I thought they said they could squeeze 3 tracks under the existing Margaret design if they had to.

I recall reading that too.
The Region's report justifying a 2-track bridge says that.
Whether Metrolinx would be comfortable with such an arrangement is another thing entirely.

Then please mentally substitute "City's" where I wrote "Region's".
Well that didn't take long, to get intercity graffiti on the new bridge ;(

[Image: B6htxK2CMAAT-XJ.jpg:large]
I'm anxious to see when the region plans to sell that piece of land that used to house that small plaza on the corner. Or if they'll hold onto it and build a regional building.
Well, the concept photo at the header of this thread shows a building there - so there must have been some thought put toward it...
It's a pretty good-looking building in that picture, actually (it almost looks like it has a portico). At the foreground is what looks to me like a big umbrella over a patio or outdoor eating area. It would be nice to have something with similar uses as to the plaza that was there before (a bar, a restaurant, a bit of retail) but much closer to both Victoria and Weber.
When I saw it reported on the news my first thought was "You heard it here first!" Wink

Ironically the degree of difficulty of applying graffiti and the ease of removal were part of the original report (page 11) proposing the visual "enhancements."
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...2-0425.pdf

Interestingly the original "concept" image shows only two glowing pylons along the track (on the west side), and two each along the road at Victoria and Weber and Breithaupt and Weber.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Some local street artists have added some small pieces of artwork to the underpass, as well as the sound barriers further north.

It livens the place up a little! Kinda nice to see a colour other than "concrete".
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »