Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber Street Reconstruction - College to Union
Um. Why does the pylon on the left (if heading into Waterloo) now have a giant square panel with a high-heel shoe painted on it?

Drove past it last night briefly and couldn't understand what I was seeing.

https://twitter.com/tomjgalloway14/statu...8299547649
Very interesting. Curious to see what the other 3 will be.
A rubber boot, dress shirt, and a chunk of ham?
Maybe a big fat sausage instead of the ham.

Actually, given the location, a chair or other piece of furniture in honour of Krug next door might be appropriate.
The other 3 will be "luggage, clothing, furniture. Materials leather, buttons, wood will be on the wall panels."
The "high-heeled shoe" is a style of women's boot from the turn of the 19th/20th Century.

Just need some sheep and a couple of rocks and we'll have enough to upgrade to a City.

I took a ride under the bridge this morning. I applaud the region for incorporating art into this bridge, but i find the graphics they have used make this bridge look cheesy. They look like game board pieces.
I hope that they have been designed to change/update over time.  I don't feel time will be on the side of those graphics.
They should have left it alone. They take away from the semi-Art Deco charm of those columns.
(12-17-2014, 02:35 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: They should have left it alone. They take away from the semi-Art Deco charm of those columns.

This.  They look a little ridiculous.  If they wanted to do lights, do lights, but this is going to look a little off.
I think with a lot of public art, at first, the reactions will be very mixed, possibly leaning more on the side of skepticism as seen here.

Remember the rusty bell in Waterloo Square? Everyone thought it was odd at first, and now it has somewhat grown on the community.

Creative cities need to have public art that appeals to all tastes, and while the shoe might not be everyone's cup of tea, it definitely reminds us of our industrial-textile past.
I know of no one who likes that bell. It is still an eye sore in what is otherwise nice public space. Art is like that, hit and miss, there is nothing wrong with saying "miss" and moving it to a less central space e.g. somewhere in Waterloo park.

Appealing to all tastes is fine, but public art is like a condo: it's all in the materials.
I agree with Building Scout. That bell is terrible. It is rusted, it is slightly off it's base, I am not sure it is a bell or why. On a positive note, I saw one day someone had drawn a large penis on it-- in chalk. Whomever the bell keeper is apparently quickly erased it because it was gone the next day.