Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber Street Reconstruction - College to Union
The contract might have contained provisions that mean the contractor is paying for this rework.

One would assume. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm just happy it will finally be finished. The temporary fencing was so ugly and it makes me angry every time I drive or walk past it.
I believe the updated parlance for rust is "a self-sealing finish". See the Waterloo Park pedestrian bridge for an example of rust on purpose.
COR-TEN steel!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

It's an oxidized (rusted) surface that protects the underlying structural steel from corroding.
Loving the new posts! And, the artwork, too - didn't know they were doing this!

Was there any sign of work?
They put those posts in early last week, but there's been nothing since.
Yeah, nothing more - no action. They're about half done, then stopped. I wondered if they stopped because of the slope (i.e., if they bolted the uprights down on the slope, would they be perpendicular to the slope and thus not vertical?), but it appears as though they keep them vertical by adjusting the nuts at the bottom, then grouting the gap. There is still a big pallet or two full of posts just West of the site.

Still no more progress here. So disappointing.
Would they be replacing the East side poles as well? I suspect not due to cost, which is unfortunate, considering the colour difference.
We don't know yet for sure... They haven't finished the West side yet.
I thought the railings needed to be changed out because the first set on the east side didn't meet safety standards. Did I just dream that?
(05-04-2016, 04:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I thought the railings needed to be changed out because the first set on the east side didn't meet safety standards.  Did I just dream that?

I think that was mostly conjecture on our parts.
We had theorized that, but it was all just discussion, no fact.

The reality is more likely that the coating on the original (East) side was not rust proof, an installation was halted after the problem was discovered. This is likely why the stanchions going up on the West side are coated/painted completely differently.

Again, theorizing; no fact.

Region tweeted this past week that the railing install would finish up the week of May 23rd on this project.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Railing installation has been underway this week on the west/south side. Was a little over half complete when I went by today. Not exactly May 23, but not too far off.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »