Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber Street Reconstruction - College to Union
Tongue and cheek? Or actual art?

Actual art.
Or were you asking whether it was sanctioned?

It does not appear to be sanctioned.
No I was more wondering if you meant graffiti
Big Grin 
Yes, that is the style of artwork.  
Does anyone know what the delay is in finishing off the west side of the Weber underpass? Why is the west side still incomplete and missing the railing?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I notice that as the construction season winds down, that the Weber Street underpass is still unfinished.
(11-02-2015, 02:42 PM)nms Wrote: I notice that as the construction season winds down, that the Weber Street underpass is still unfinished.

There was an issue with the pedestrian fencing, either safety or structural integrity, and the temporary-fenced-side, and possibly the other side as well, awaits resolution that won't come for months.

Sounds like a question for the region.
(11-02-2015, 02:49 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: There was an issue with the pedestrian fencing, either safety or structural integrity, and the temporary-fenced-side, and possibly the other side as well, awaits resolution that won't come for months.

I wouldn't be surprised if its running afoul of the building code guidelines that forbid horizontal slats on fences these days. (i.e. anything that you could climb like a ladder.) If this project is not technically breaking the rules, but then someone decided to complain helpfully remind the region that it was unsafe.
(11-02-2015, 04:51 PM)Markster Wrote:
(11-02-2015, 02:49 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: There was an issue with the pedestrian fencing, either safety or structural integrity, and the temporary-fenced-side, and possibly the other side as well, awaits resolution that won't come for months.

I wouldn't be surprised if its running afoul of the building code guidelines that forbid horizontal slats on fences these days.  (i.e. anything that you could climb like a ladder.)  If this project is not technically breaking the rules, but then someone decided to complain helpfully remind the region that it was unsafe.

Yes, we had a building inspector complain about this in our house -- he said the gaps between horizontal bards would need to be smaller so that you couldn't climb up.  Finally, we ended up with aluminium and glass railings ...  Smile
Does that make chain-link fence unsafe? They were always perfect for getting a toebox of a shoe into. Mind you, whatever safety is going on over at the King rail overpass work, it isn't deterring anyone. I'll often see the safety fence opened up when I'm out at 4:30 in the morning, and at other times of day I'll see people hop the fences at Waterloo to use it as a way through.

My biggest peeve around this location, however, is just how messy one and/or both the Google and Momentum sites are. Just walking along the grass between King and Duke on Victoria, if there's been any wind, there'll be enough construction debris (insulation, banding, plastic, etc) that I can't even carry what the dog is interested in enough to stop and sniff or attempt to eat.
I found myself the other day wishing that they had included a pedestrian bridge to keep the severed Breithaupt St connected as part of this project.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
They are finally finishing off the West side pedestrian railings. About half of the uprights are installed; some more are sitting on pallets being painted at the corner of Victoria & Weber.

They are dark grey, while the ones installed originally on the East side are silver.

The original ones are rusting pretty badly. My guess is that they stopped installation when the original ones started rusting and worked to try to find a better surface treatment for the remainder. Now the question is, will they replace/recoat the east side uprights, or leave them as is?

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-17-2016, 03:29 PM)Canard Wrote: They are finally finishing off the West side pedestrian railings. About half of the uprights are installed; some more are sitting on pallets being painted at the corner of Victoria & Weber.

They are dark grey, while the ones installed originally on the East side are silver.

The original ones are rusting pretty badly. My guess is that they stopped installation when the original ones started rusting and worked to try to find a better surface treatment for the remainder. Now the question is, will they replace/recoat the east side uprights, or leave them as is?

Since when do we not know how to make bridge rail posts that don’t rust? If this is indeed what is going on, this is ridiculous. We cannot make progress as a society if we are unable to perform routine actions without having to re-do them several times before they are done properly.
The fencing was probably done by a smaller subcontractor who just made a simple mistake.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »