Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
(03-15-2019, 02:41 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 02:23 PM)EdM Wrote: I'm disappointed for the effect it may have on the (perhaps excessive) number of good, independent coffee shops downtown. We had a good run of excellent coffee and no Starbucks.

It's a real possibility. I tend to subscribe to the notion that there isn't an excessive number of shops as long as they can all pay rent and most of the coffee shops have been around for a few years so I think in that regard they're doing okay enough. I also know a lot of people who intentionally leave downtown to get a Tim Horton's coffee (some of them I even still consider friends, despite this significant character flaw) so I'm hopeful that those folks who prefer coffee from big chains will have a good option, and those of us who prefer the smaller chains or independent shops will continue to support them. That's an optimistic take though. 

The Coffee Time in the Manulife building is probably the most vulnerable to Starbucks' presence, but Manulife is about to start giving all its employees free coffee and that whole population is going to be gone by the end of 2019 anyway, so it is already in a high risky state.

Agree. Most of the people that enjoy really good coffee and support independent businesses are not the same that will go to Starbucks for their morning coffee. Both will thrive - they cater to different audiences.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - by urbd - 03-15-2019, 03:02 PM
Bobby O'Briens - by Shawn - 08-26-2014, 09:44 PM
Re: Bobby O'Briens - by Shawn - 08-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Love Wings and Beer?? - by Shawn - 09-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Re: Love Wings and Beer?? - by trakt0r - 09-23-2014, 07:37 AM