Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
(02-09-2019, 02:04 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 05:51 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Tapas is indeed a good comparison. And like a tapas bar, no one will ever kick you out because you either exceeded a time limit, or stopped eating (because you are full): they are counting on you to stay there, hang out, and consume more (profitable) drinks.

This is something that has always bothered me about some restaurants, and in general about some places in North American culture.  What's the rush.  I loved going out for dinner in France.  Hours of just eating, drinking and hanging out, with zero pressure to move on.

There are economic incentives to turn over the seats. I don't know about AYCE economics but I do know that, in some sense, restaurants are in large part renting you the seats; food costs are typically only one-third of a restaurant's operating costs. So, the more turnover, the more money the restaurant makes. Like, if you have three seatings vs two in an evening, you're grossing 50% more.

Of course, that could just be an indication that something is fundamentally wrong with our society. But restaurant economics are only a reflection of the society.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - by plam - 02-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Bobby O'Briens - by Shawn - 08-26-2014, 09:44 PM
Re: Bobby O'Briens - by Shawn - 08-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Love Wings and Beer?? - by Shawn - 09-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Re: Love Wings and Beer?? - by trakt0r - 09-23-2014, 07:37 AM