Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
Jeff Hicks did a total hatchet job on the owner of Cafe Pyrus today. I've never seen so much outrage about a local business on Reddit before.

Manulife cutting 700 jobs, vacating office in downtown Kitchener

Tyzun James Wrote:Wow, I am very surprised by the sensationalism used in even the title of the Article.

I did not say good riddance, . I was asked if the moving of Manulife (not closing of) would impact my business.
My answer was I didn't think it would. Our customer base has increased with the startups and new revitalization of downtown.

This feels like a complete hit job.

This is decisive and offensive in many ways.

If you have been to Pyrus, been involved with Pyrus - this does not represent us or the business at all.

Also, I was not the one who said over 40 manulifers. That was what Jeff Hicks says and he my quote. Which is pretty shady.

I am over 40, many of my customers or over 40.

I apologize for this. It is offensive.

Tyzun James Wrote:I appologize to you and everyone over 40. This article is filled with inherent agesim.

I am over 40, I believe that our customer bases’ average age would be over 40. This is offenisve and decisive in many ways. The reporter framed my quotes around an older work crowd, over 40’s, I did not refer to anyone by this generalization, that was the reporter.

My comments were about how manulife has been our biggest employer in downtown and has directed policy In downtown via agencies like the BIA who cheered for chain development in downtown, parking. The ‘they’ I was speaking to were the BIA, not manulife employees.

I see more availble office space as a positive for small startups and businesses, The downtown revitalization has been fueled by these types of employers, and this could be positive to the fabric of downtown. Not the ‘sky is falling down’ that I felt the reporter was digging at.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - by Bob_McBob - 06-22-2018, 01:37 PM
Bobby O'Briens - by Shawn - 08-26-2014, 09:44 PM
Re: Bobby O'Briens - by Shawn - 08-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Love Wings and Beer?? - by Shawn - 09-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Re: Love Wings and Beer?? - by trakt0r - 09-23-2014, 07:37 AM