Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
There are steamed buns available regularly at Givral Deli downtown. It's the banh mi shop adjacent to New City Supermarket if you've never been.

@GtwoK - I've tried a variety of steamed buns at "Hot Wheels Tea House" in Waterloo (14 King St N, beside the former Beta Nightclub). They were all very tasty, and pre-wrapped for quick grab & go.
(03-21-2017, 04:24 PM)timc Wrote: O My Bakery at Phillip Square seemed to have a large variety of buns, but I must confess that I don't know much about what makes buns good or bad. I just needed carbs one day and it seemed to do the job.

Best Chinese bakery in town!
Hot Wheels in Uptown is okay in a pinch, but if you can make a choice, go to Philip Square for sure.

I can't recall if they do the steamed buns though. I'm mostly looking at baked ones myself. Delicious delicious meat floss.
(03-21-2017, 04:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Cameron Seafood?

Yes.  But only during dim sum hours.
(09-23-2016, 05:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I enjoyed the Firkin the first few times I went in the year after they opened but then I had a terrible experience while out with guests from out of town - we ordered the day's special of "beef stroganoff" and got something that, to this day, I believe was Hamburger Helper (no, I am not kidding!).  I never went back.

Looks like a new restaurant is opening up where the Firkin used to be located - we may need a new thread for "Taste at the Tannery" Smile

[Image: 1ZrV4ce.jpg]
(03-18-2017, 04:24 PM)jamincan Wrote: Does anyone have any info about local coffee roasters? I know of Smile Tiger and Contrabean, but am wondering what other options there might be locally. It occurred to me that instead of buying my coffee at the grocery store, I could be supporting local businesses instead (and also the Hydrocut!)

I think J&P had three different roasters' beans: Smile Tiger (naturally!), Settlement Co and someone else.  Smile Tiger is pretty pricy at $18/340g ($53/kg!) but Settlement was a much more reasonable $15/454g ($33/kg).  Given that Settlement Co's in-store coffee is quite good, I think I might give their beans a try.
Just curious - has anybody tried Two Goblets since it move to the new location on Ontario St?

(03-24-2017, 09:13 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-18-2017, 04:24 PM)jamincan Wrote: Does anyone have any info about local coffee roasters? I know of Smile Tiger and Contrabean, but am wondering what other options there might be locally. It occurred to me that instead of buying my coffee at the grocery store, I could be supporting local businesses instead (and also the Hydrocut!)

I think J&P had three different roasters' beans: Smile Tiger (naturally!), Settlement Co and someone else.  Smile Tiger is pretty pricy at $18/340g ($53/kg!) but Settlement was a much more reasonable $15/454g ($33/kg).  Given that Settlement Co's in-store coffee is quite good, I think I might give their beans a try.

You sure on the size of the Settlement Co bags at J&P? The bags they sell in shop at 1 Victoria are 340g.
(03-26-2017, 08:51 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(03-24-2017, 09:13 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I think J&P had three different roasters' beans: Smile Tiger (naturally!), Settlement Co and someone else.  Smile Tiger is pretty pricy at $18/340g ($53/kg!) but Settlement was a much more reasonable $15/454g ($33/kg).  Given that Settlement Co's in-store coffee is quite good, I think I might give their beans a try.

You sure on the size of the Settlement Co bags at J&P? The bags they sell in shop at 1 Victoria are 340g.

I'm pretty sure ... but you have now sown the seeds of doubt in my mind!  I'll need to double-check.
(03-26-2017, 05:12 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Just curious - has anybody tried Two Goblets since it move to the new location on Ontario St?

Yes.  It's still good.  The new location has big, bright windows but the environment is fairly bare, a bit cafeteria-like in the end, with the salad bar table.

The schnitzels are still good, though!
Much to my great disappointment, the former Chen's Buffet at Bridgeport and Weber has been sold and is being converted to a gym. This is pretty much the opposite of what I was hoping would open there. This means the brand new kitchen that had been put in will now be removed. So much for a local pub in the area. Sigh Sad
This does not seem like a good building for a fitness centre. Seems like they would have to gut the place and do a lot of utility work. Lots of windows need to be installed too.

The size isn't even the greatest to begin with.
Not only that, but you have the monster Good Life gym just up the street. Tough competition for a smaller facility.

It looks like its an Anytime fitness location. Their Gyms tend to be smaller, based on the Westmount Rd or Victoria Gyms
I realise it's not very considerate. In fact it's more the opposite of considerate, but I can't help myself wishing that every business that sets up shop there fails until finally a decent local pub opens.
I know, I know, selfish. But there really is nothing good anywhere even close to the area where one can go watch a game, have a decent beer, and good food. And as I've said before it strikes me as such a great location for just such a place.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »