Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
(06-17-2023, 08:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-17-2023, 05:25 PM)ac3r Wrote: But outdoor service? Weird decision considering it's a major downtown intersection with 4 lanes all funneling into the intersection, numerous bus stops, the LRT going by every 10 minutes and the constant presence of junkies since they regularly shoot up in and outside that parking garage.

Fewer homeless people at that corner than a block away at King St. And the traffic is not particularly heavy or noisy. The patio area will give them more capacity as the interior is quite small.

Speakers corner has way more, but I've actually had someone clearly very high hanging out outside the garage come up and try to open my friends car door while we were waiting at the intersection - twice. I've only eaten at downtown patios I think three times in recent years, and two of those times I was made to feel very uncomfortable (one bordering on unsafe). I decided it wasn't worth it to eat at one again. Clearly others feel different though, since the patio program is fairly successful, so it's no reason not to build one (though I would note, I've seen many online do feel the same as I do).

I think the built environment of that intersection is quite unpleasant though. It doesn't carry as much traffic as it seems designed for, but it's unpleasant nonetheless. But that's more of a lack of enticement to me, than an active deterrence at least, and is a distant second concern regardless.

And personally the LRT could go through every minute without bothering me, so long as it's not squealing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - by dtkvictim - 06-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Bobby O'Briens - by Shawn - 08-26-2014, 09:44 PM
Re: Bobby O'Briens - by Shawn - 08-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Love Wings and Beer?? - by Shawn - 09-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Re: Love Wings and Beer?? - by trakt0r - 09-23-2014, 07:37 AM