Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
I guess that the owner of the storefront originally ran a restaurant under that name, and used that company for purchasing it.  Some searching tells me that if 77 King St was ever "Stingers Dine & Dance Bar", then it hasn't been it for a long time.

I remember in the mid 2000s, it was "Musselini's", and doing some searching, before that...
In 2004, it was "Paddy Flaherty's" (which I just barely remember from my first year here)
In 1998, it was "Kingsbridge Crossing, a British Isles Restaurant and Pub"
In 1988, it was the "Olde English Parlour"
In 1979, it was the "Duke of Waterloo"
In 1977, it was "Joker's Two Tavern", which seems to be a minor name change from it's previous name,
In 1970, it was "Joker's Wild Steak House"

(02-18-2015, 12:29 PM)Markster Wrote: I guess that the owner of the storefront originally ran a restaurant under that name, and used that company for purchasing it.  Some searching tells me that if 77 King St was ever "Stingers Dine & Dance Bar", then it hasn't been it for a long time.

I remember in the mid 2000s, it was "Musselini's", and doing some searching, before that...
In 2004, it was "Paddy Flaherty's" (which I just barely remember from my first year here)
In 1998, it was "Kingsbridge Crossing, a British Isles Restaurant and Pub"
In 1988, it was the "Olde English Parlour"
In 1979, it was the "Duke of Waterloo"
In 1977, it was "Joker's Two Tavern", which seems to be a minor name change from it's previous name,
In 1970, it was "Joker's Wild Steak House"

And sometime prior to 1970, this King & Bridgeport location was a Canadian Tire before it moved out to Weber St (the location was later Office Depot and now Goodlife).  That Canadian Tire location has since moved further north up Weber to its present location
Good riddance to the Fox & Fiddle! The place was a $hithole! Not that the OEP was upscale back when, but the place had sure gone downhill.

Feel bad for those out of work though.

Hopefully something nice, but mid-range in price opens up in that spot soon.
It's walking distance to WLU. Easiest way to maximize cashflow is to create yet another student friendly dive. Ugh, sorry, but that's the way the traffic goes.
Mambellas Midtown reopened on Tuesday. Good to see it back.
Anyone know why it closed in the first place?
Apparently they were undergoing renovations.
I'm curious to see what is new inside.

Mambella's ratio of kitchen space (large) to seating area (small) seemed a bit off to me so maybe they've added some seats.
Just wondering - has anyone been in to try the W H Social restaurant yet? I'm told that the renovation looks good, but I haven't heard anything about the dining experience yet.
(02-25-2015, 11:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Just wondering - has anyone been in to try the W H Social restaurant yet?  I'm told that the renovation looks good, but I haven't heard anything about the dining experience yet.

Been in there once. Tap list is pretty long (~18?), though fairly static, with most of the usual suspects for craft beer and a couple less common ones. I had a burger, and it was very good.

There's a line of booths across from the bar, and they have installed these glass panels with LED lights behind them. When I got there after work, they were quite bright, almost fluorescent light white, and I didn't think it was that attractive. But then I realized that they were very gradually dimming to a more comfortable yellow through the evening. Neat trick.

Elsewhere, there seems to be lots of seating tucked away. Looks like you could find a quiet corner if you wanted.

Not bad. I'm not in a huge hurry to go back, because any time I'm there, I'd have to ask myself why I'm not going to Imbibe across the street-- but that's just me. But they definitely have a more fleshed out food menu.
That's an interesting comment about Imbibe.  I haven't been in quite some time because when I've passed by it seemed too crowded for me to be comfortable (good for them, bad for me).  I have also found, however, that Imbibe sometimes fell a bit short in terms of the service level (not bad, just a bit lackadaisical).  Has it improved in that regard, do you think?
I've to imbibe twice and found it to be rather unpleasant. The seating seemed cramped and the tofu I had was absolutely horrible; worse than a first time vegetarian trying to cook with the stuff... and I enjoy eating fried slabs of the stuff so I dunno what they did to it; doesn't seem to be on the current menu unsurprisingly. Even the hot chocolate was sub-par. The best place for beer in Kitchener is still the Bent Elbow but I no longer drink so they're not really places I go anymore.
I've only been to Imbibe twice, too, and sat on the patio both times. On both occasions, the service was at least lackadaisical, and as a result our group moved on for more drinks sooner than we might have otherwise. I thought the beer selection was fine (well, they had a saison that I hadn't tried before, so good enough selection for me). I can't remember what we ate, so probably neither great nor terrible.

I picked my wife up from a dinner there once, and remember that everyone was impressed with the food, and not too pleased with the service. It did seem crowded.

Personally, I like Imbibe's beer enough to look past the service issues, though my wife is another matter. They had a menu adjustment in the past few months that's made ordering dinner there less appealing.

As for TWH Social, it was certainly a well lit, trendy-feeling, higher-price-tag-than-Rum-Runner kind of place. Ultimately, both my dish and my wife's dish were overly salty, so I'm not feeling compelled to spend that much money on dinner there again. My wife says it still seems like a reasonable place for drinks, if you want somewhere that has some interesting beer as well as a more complete bar.
Markster, how much was beer? I am looking at the beer list, which seems pretty good for most people (myself included), but wondering how much a glass of beer is.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »