Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
Has anyone tried out Proof, the new restaurant at the Delta in Waterloo? I've heard good things, but haven't actually visited myself.

(11-17-2014, 07:18 PM)Drake Wrote: Agreed. Walmart is a place unto itself. Lets get back to talking about Food, Dining, Etc.. Smile

For some people WalMart is the destination of choice for General Food (grocery store), Dining (McD's) and Nightlife (queuing for Black Friday deals). [I'm not one of them.]
(11-28-2014, 12:22 PM)schooner77 Wrote: Has anyone tried out Proof, the new restaurant at the Delta in Waterloo?  I've heard good things, but haven't actually visited myself.

Not yet, but I really want to.
A friend of my told me she had been to Proof about a week or so after it opened and she found it excellent.
I saw that the barrel sign for Boa Nova was coming down yesterday, so I asked the construction guys if there were any plans for it. One of them told me that "it was going to be re-used". Don't know whether that was accurate or not, but perhaps we'll see a new Portuguese/Brazilian restaurant in town as some future time.
I went to The Crazy Canuck for lunch for the first time today and it was excellent. The establishment is quite small and bare bones in terms of decor, but the food was fantastic. I had the so-called Best Burger in Town, and to be quite honest, it probably was the best burger I've had, or at least it was very delicious.

They are located in the Antique Market across from the Saint Jacob's Market on Weber. It sounds like they might have a food truck or something too, or other locations, I'm not really sure.
We've been to the Crazy Canuck as well. Great place, kind of like a restaurant you'd see on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives or You Gotta Eat Here. You certainly don't go for the ambience, but who cares. The burgers are great and there's even a portobello burger for a vegetarian option. It certainly isn't advertised, so it must be word of mouth that brings everyone in. It's definitely worth the drive up to St. Jacobs.

(12-04-2014, 06:58 PM)schooner77 Wrote: We've been to the Crazy Canuck as well. Great place, kind of like a restaurant you'd see on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives or You Gotta Eat Here.  You certainly don't go for the ambience, but who cares.  The burgers are great and there's even a portobello burger for a vegetarian option.  It certainly isn't advertised, so it must be word of mouth that brings everyone in.  It's definitely worth the drive up to St. Jacobs.

Must be working because I've never heard of it, but now I want to check it out.
Big sign going up on the Crown Plaza Hotel at Benton and King Sts for their new restaurant/lounge "Aqua". Anybody tried it?

Sign also notes opening in March, 2015 of their renovated fitness/squash facility "Active".
I take it this has replaced Botanica?
I'm not sure.  The Botanica sign is still on the King St entrance.  I'll have to pop in next time I go by to see what is where.  There's also a new lounge off the lobby, I believe.
So, I went in to the Crowne Plaza today and the new Aqua restaurant is off the lobby. Looks like a nice space.

I asked the woman at reception what would become of the space formerly occupied by Botanica - she was not sure but thought it would be renovated for "offices".
It sounds like KW might be home to a new bike shop/cafe in the near future. Unfortunately, details beyond that are scarce. Location could definitely make or break a place like this. It sounds like they're focusing more on urban cycling, but I think a location somewhere like Bridgeport could actually work really well if the access across the parkway were better. Access north and east of Bridgeport is good though, which is key for catching those people looking for a post-ride recovery beer. :-)

http://www.berlinbicyclecafe.com/

Also, it seems that The Order is finally open as well. Which is to say, they've been open for a month now.
Nice logo for that Berlin Bicycle Café. It would be nice (or nostalgic) to see it located in Braun's old shop on King St E.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »