Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
(10-07-2015, 04:27 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: Does anyone know what's happening with Quiznos subs  (at least in Waterloo region) there is only 2 locations left in the region (Hespler RD and Sportsworld) The remaining Waterloo locations closed earlier this year and I noticed the Sunrise shopping Centre location has also closed. I read that there bankrupt in the States but it wasn't going to affect Quiznos Canada.

They went Chapter 11 (equivalent to receivership in Canada) but exited that over a year ago.

Quizno's is normally all franchise, so either the franchisees decided to throw in the towel, or (less likely) the company decided not to renew their franchise agreements.

(10-07-2015, 03:39 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Has it been noted that "B", in the former Imbibe space had its soft opening yesterday?  I popped in this afternoon and thought both the space and the menu looked quite good.  

Has there been any word at all about the plans for a "new Imbibe"?

I heard that Imbibe's owner, Bill MacTavish, has also stopped participating in the ownership of the Boathouse. It could be a personal/health/family issue, or there could be financial/capital issues. I wouldn't bet on an early re-opening.
(10-10-2015, 11:57 AM)numberguy Wrote:
(10-07-2015, 03:39 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Has it been noted that "B", in the former Imbibe space had its soft opening yesterday?  I popped in this afternoon and thought both the space and the menu looked quite good.  

Has there been any word at all about the plans for a "new Imbibe"?

I heard that Imbibe's owner, Bill MacTavish, has also stopped participating in the ownership of the Boathouse.    It could be a personal/health/family issue, or there could be financial/capital issues.   I wouldn't bet on an early re-opening.

This happened in the summer already, they went their different ways, with MacTavish planning for a new Imbibe.  The rumour was that he was looking at the former Marisol space, but that has now been snapped up by the Berlin's owners.
Gushue (as of last week) had not signed the lease on the old Marisol space.

Still no new-Imbibe. There's loads of empty downtown Kitchener space. I reiterate, there must be a lack of capital or there may be personal/health issues.
Just a few spaces north (or west) of where Caesaria's was, around a massage parlour, there's some frontage work going on, though I haven't seen what is happening there.
(10-15-2015, 07:43 AM)numberguy Wrote: Gushue (as of last week) had not signed the lease on the old Marisol space.

Still no new-Imbibe.   There's loads of empty downtown Kitchener space.    I reiterate, there must be a lack of capital or there may be personal/health issues.

If this is speculation, it is not in good taste.
Why do you say that? No disrespect was meant.

Imbibe closed months ago. No new location has opened. The Boathouse was a going concern and up and running. He pulled out.

There are two reasons that come to mind. Financial and personal. Please explain how that is in poor taste.

Good news!  Descendants Beer and Beverage Co. will be opening a brew pub in a 5,000 square ft building at 319 Victoria St N.   The Record article says they hope to be up and running early in the new year.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5965...in-months/
As with TWB I think this will be all brew and no pub.
(10-17-2015, 06:38 PM)Lens Wrote: As with TWB I think this will be all brew and no pub.

The article talks about German beer hall-type tables, so I was assuming pub.  Time will tell, but if it's just brew, 5,000 sq ft seems way too large.
Awesome, awesome, awesome. The mention of "tables" must mean some kind of service. Even if not (or not yet), that is a great location for a place for people to be able to fill up growlers- walkable to downtown, good transit.
The tables may be just for tasting, i.e. no food. Give them a chance to launch the brewery first. Then if they succeed at that 5,000 ft² may prove to be a great decision because it lets them grow in place.

Also how much parking is available?
(10-18-2015, 09:57 AM)ookpik Wrote: The tables may be just for tasting, i.e. no food. Give them a chance to launch the brewery first. Then if they succeed at that 5,000 ft² may prove to be a great decision because it lets them grow in place.

The building does have parking at the back, but I don't know how much.  If you don't know the building, it's the one that was recently renovated after serving as a fireworks shop.  About a short block before Lancaster.

(10-18-2015, 09:57 AM)ookpik Wrote: Also how much parking is available?

I don't think that's too important, given the new iXpress and the fact that it's so close to downtown.
(10-18-2015, 09:57 AM)ookpik Wrote: The tables may be just for tasting, i.e. no food. Give them a chance to launch the brewery first. Then if they succeed at that 5,000 ft² may prove to be a great decision because it lets them grow in place.

If it's good, I plan to walk there. Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »