Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
At the Jann Arden concert this week, there were a number of food trucks lined up in the plaza leading in to the main entrance. Not much business going on, but I don't think many people expected to see the trucks there. I was in to the Box Office today and was told that CITS is going to make the food trucks a regular feature.

A staffer at the KCL told me yesterday that the Matter of Taste Coffee bar in the Reading Room will open today.
Just saw on twitter that it is indeed open
The Generous Host at 18 Eby St (between King and Charles) opened last week, so I stuck my head in today to check it out. It is a combination homeware/giftware (ceramics, hand-painted pillows)/food (preserves, individual cheesecakes)/café. The cheesecakes seem to be a specialty - they are in individual jars and you get money back if you return the empty jar. Looked like an interesting idea for entertaining. The owner, a young woman, told me she also rents the space out for meetings (it's the main floor of an old house so fairly spacious and not bad looking). Not a lot of stock (yet?), but I noticed that some of the giftware can be custom ordered (Christmas is coming!). Seems another decent option if you are looking for a cup of tea or coffee down that way.

http://thegeneroushost.com/
I went to the Waterloo location of Nougat yesterday and grabbed a slice of cherry cheesecake.

Ate it later that evening and can say it is one of the better cheesecakes i've had, I will be returning for other items in the future!
I can recommend Quesada Burritos and Tacos, which opened a couple of weeks ago in the LCBO plaza at Highland Rd and Lawrence. Three sizes of burritos and a good selection of ingredients. I got take away but the restaurant is very clean and modern, if a bit basic (it is a chain). Spiciness level? I got the spicy chicken with a medium sauce and was glad I didn't ask for jalapeños. I don't know that I would choose it over Holy Guacamole, but definitely a good option if you are over that way.
(10-23-2014, 03:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I can recommend Quesada Burritos and Tacos, which opened a couple of weeks ago in the LCBO plaza at Highland Rd and Lawrence.  Three sizes of burritos and a good selection of ingredients.  I got take away but the restaurant is very clean and modern, if a bit basic (it is a chain).  Spiciness level?  I got the spicy chicken with a medium sauce and was glad I didn't ask for jalapeños.  I don't know that I would choose it over Holy Guacamole, but definitely a good option if you are over that way.

I tried it last Sunday and I would agree with the sentiment that its quite decent. I think this will likely become my usual Burrito Joint as it is the closest on the West side of town.

The former Bon Mot space below the Starlight (47 King St N) has a liquor license application for a "White Rabbit Pub". I'm guessing it's a new project from the Jane Bond/Starlight folks because they own the building.
I noticed today that the McDonalds in Walmart at Fairview Park is gone. I thought it was always quite busy, but it did have a drastically smaller menu with very few choices compared to the standard restaurants.
Now the space is just a disaster consisting mostly of pallets of random merchandise.
You mean like the rest of Walmart? Wink
(11-16-2014, 05:15 PM)panamaniac Wrote: You mean like the rest of Walmart?  Wink

You are correct, that store is pretty disorganized.
(11-16-2014, 05:27 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(11-16-2014, 05:15 PM)panamaniac Wrote: You mean like the rest of Walmart?  Wink

You are correct, that store is pretty disorganized.

I've found that Walmart stores in general have become more and more disorganized as time goes on.
Walmart is under tremendous pressure to increase earnings. There are two ways to go about doing this: (a) think hard about what you are doing and find a way to deliver better services or (b) fire people like crazy, let service deteriorate with eventual drop in sales, but in the meanwhile earnings go up, cash your stock options and move on to the next business.

Which one do you think most managers prefer?

Agreed. Walmart is a place unto itself. Lets get back to talking about Food, Dining, Etc.. Smile
A gay bar, The Order, is to open in Waterloo at 56 King St N.
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5150...usiveness/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »