Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
Does anyone know what stores carry Grainharvest Bread House bread locally? I seem to recall some of the specialty grocery stores might, but I'm not sure. Normally I'd buy it from their store on Lorraine, as it's just down the street, but I got home late from my bike ride today and missed them today, and they're closed tomorrow. I need my seven grain bread!!!

(09-11-2021, 02:38 PM)jamincan Wrote: Does anyone know what stores carry Grainharvest Bread House bread locally? I seem to recall some of the specialty grocery stores might, but I'm not sure. Normally I'd buy it from their store on Lorraine, as it's just down the street, but I got home late from my bike ride today and missed them today, and they're closed tomorrow. I need my seven grain bread!!!

Full Circle! Full Circle! I get it there all the time...
Thank you! I figured they might, but didn't want to go out and return empty handed.
(09-11-2021, 02:38 PM)jamincan Wrote: Does anyone know what stores carry Grainharvest Bread House bread locally? I seem to recall some of the specialty grocery stores might, but I'm not sure. Normally I'd buy it from their store on Lorraine, as it's just down the street, but I got home late from my bike ride today and missed them today, and they're closed tomorrow. I need my seven grain bread!!!
Yeti Café carries their bread. Grainharvest has 4 locations in the region, including St. Jacobs Market. Their "Where to buy" page says, "Products available at other retail stores throughout Ontario. Contact us for more information."

Edit: Also Vincenzo's.
(09-11-2021, 04:56 PM)jamincan Wrote: Thank you! I figured they might, but didn't want to go out and return empty handed.

Lol, I'm just a little enthusiastic.

I’m a little late but if you are in the Stanley Park area you can also get it from the Victoria Street Market.
Bailey's Local Foods carries it. They have a weekly pickup at First United Church in Waterloo until Thanksgiving and then bi-weekly after that.  Bailey's also sources from a ridiculous number of local vendors including meat, dairy, produce and prepared foods (and more!)

Vancouver City Council approves permanent patio program: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouve...s-approved

So this is pretty cool. I'd love to see Waterloo Region follow their lead. I know at times we have some patios on the street, but ever since the pandemic there are a lot more and it would be alright to see that stick around in the warmer months. People really like enjoying a meal outdoors in the city.
I know the Downtown BIA and the city are pushing for patios to be permanent downtown. A few restaurants that have Covid patios have been asked if they'd consider keeping them permanently.

The owner of Kinkaku said the BIA was really pushing it, but their kitchen just doesn't have the capacity for more tables. Same reason they've never done delivery apps, the dining room already keeps the kitchen at 100%.
Patios are in, cars are out.
(09-23-2021, 10:57 PM)taylortbb Wrote: The owner of Kinkaku said the BIA was really pushing it, but their kitchen just doesn't have the capacity for more tables. Same reason they've never done delivery apps, the dining room already keeps the kitchen at 100%.

This is a good point. Kitchens in proper restaurants are very busy. Like, people meme about Marco Pierre White or Gordon Ramsay yelling all the time and expecting military like precision, but that's what it's really like to get food out to your dining room. Too many extra spaces will cause problems.

I think it would work for certain things, though, particularly more laid back restaurants, cafes or places that already offer takeout.
Crafty Ramen had to expand their kitchen to handle the takeout volume during the pandemic. They'll need to add space if they want to offer inside dining once again.
Odd Burger in Waterloo Town Square opens Sept 29.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/od...53312.html

The 1021 square-foot store is scheduled to open September 29 and will bring its locally made plant-based burgers, fries, and shakes to the university and downtown areas of Waterloo.

Address: 75 King Street S, Waterloo, ON, exterior of Waterloo Town Square
Soft opening: September 29
Bestsellers: Crispy ChickUn (6.99), Famous Burger (6.99), Wingalings (7.99), Pretenders (7.99), Fries Supreme (5.99), Onion Rings (4.89)

Attached Files Image(s)

Trying to figure out how Odd Burger will make shakes. Either way, great to have options in the region.
(10-01-2021, 08:00 PM)jeffster Wrote: Trying to figure out how Odd Burger will make shakes. Either way, great to have options in the region.

You'd use one of the plant-based "milks" (almond, soy, oat, rice etc). I think it actually works out better than the plain "milk" itself.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »