Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
I remember some time ago we did a count of how many coffee places there were in DTK (it was something like two dozen, iirc). We should do a count of how many "lunch places" there are in DTK - I'm guessing that there would be more than 50, but fewer than 100. Beyond that, no idea.

(07-03-2020, 01:24 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: But in general, I am one of those who subscribes to the notion that DTK needs ground floor commercial interests beyond lunch counters.

I'm curious why you describe this place as just a lunch counter? Their existing locations in Waterloo and Hamilton are open quite late, midnight to 4am depending on the day. I think they do a lot of after-bar and late night snack business. If they are open late in DTK too I'd say that's a good sign that DTK nightlife is picking up.

Not that I disagree with wanting to see more retail and sit down restaurants, but this seems like a pretty solid addition to DTK.
(07-03-2020, 06:00 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 01:24 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: But in general, I am one of those who subscribes to the notion that DTK needs ground floor commercial interests beyond lunch counters.

I'm curious why you describe this place as just a lunch counter? Their existing locations in Waterloo and Hamilton are open quite late, midnight to 4am depending on the day. I think they do a lot of after-bar and late night snack business. If they are open late in DTK too I'd say that's a good sign that DTK nightlife is picking up.

Not that I disagree with wanting to see more retail and sit down restaurants, but this seems like a pretty solid addition to DTK.

Takeaway food might be a good fit for the world where the pandemic isn't too far away.
(07-03-2020, 06:00 PM)taylortbb Wrote:

I'm curious why you describe this place as just a lunch counter?

Flippancy, mostly. Disregard, a little bit. Moderate ignorance. Bias. The usual.
I heard Harmony Lunch is opening again in some (outdoor) form this summer...
Williams Cafe has closed there location on Northfield and a Burger King is opening in it's place. IMO it's good to see a Burger King Opening a location in KW rather than closing.
I'm hoping they will have Breakfast, their breakfasts are delicious but the locations in KW currently don't serve it.
Pizza Pizza at University and King has Closed. Churches Chicken is opening in it's place. I'm looking forward to trying their chicken, I have heard and read a lot of good things about it.

A new nightclub "Erb and Culture" has opened in the old Waterloo Theatre in Uptown. The Chronicle had an article about it last year, but I think it only opened in the last week or so.

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-st...nightlife/
There's two new restaurants going into the plaza at King and University: Church's Texas Chicken and Twisted Indian Wraps.
Halibut House is opening a Kitchener location (Highland Hills Mall?).  Their prices are enough to keep me away.

https://halibuthouse.ca/menu/#1589229138...407e9-bd79
Apparently DVLB in Uptown Waterloo removed all their property from the unit on Sunday night and the landlord hasn't heard from them since. No mention of anything on their social media accounts.

[Image: zkgginB.jpg]
Can't blame the landlords for every closing, to be sure. Sad
The plot thickens: Blackwing, DVLB's associated location in Cambridge, was evicted for non-payment yesterday. Smile Tiger in Kitchener is co-owned by Joel Gingrich of DVLB/Blackwing, but I'm not sure if they're also closing.

[Image: cnAdlg0.jpg]

The Protecting Small Business Act passed in June halted commercial evictions until Aug 31 for any business eligible for Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (any business paying <$50,000 a month in rent who had revenues impacted by 70%). I wonder why the Blackwing landlord did this now instead of waiting for the end of the month.
How were they legally able to do it? Without knowing the circumstances, I have to think it's shortsighted for landlords to be evicting any commercial clients at the moment. Unless they've another tenant lined up behind the scenes, or have plans to sell the building, the space could be sitting empty for a long time to come.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »