Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
(11-22-2019, 07:01 AM)PhilippAchtel Wrote: I saw a sign yesterday which I think listed December 3 as their opening.

But yeah, a great breakfast place if you haven't been. It's with Yeti and Breakfast Blues and BBQs in my top tier.
I agree on both.....

So the Waterloo Corporate Campus Plaza (at Northfield and Weber, the old NCR lands) is getting a State and Main and a Starbucks... but also a place called Ramen Rebels. Sounds intriguing.

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/whatson...-waterloo/
Third State and Main in the region, right?
Think so.
Sad news for the Waterloo Food community with the death of Deb McFadden, formerly of Verses.  Food columnist Andrew Coppolino wrote a nice tribute in the Record.
(11-27-2019, 10:16 PM)nms Wrote: Sad news for the Waterloo Food community with the death of Deb McFadden, formerly of Verses.  Food columnist Andrew Coppolino wrote a nice tribute in the Record.

I used to work at Verses and this tribute is very well written and sums up Debbie perfectly.  A lot of attention was given to the food at Verses (and rightfully so) but Deb worked just as hard to make the service side as flawless as possible.
Just saw this, sad news indeed Sad

Grace and Healthy Dumplings in the University Shops Plaza is closed until further notice. They have a sign up saying the contents are for sale and it well re-open under new management next year. I'm guessing it's related to the health code violations in the news a month ago.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5332362
I had dinner at Crafty Ramen recently. It was okay, but I wouldn't recommend it very highly. App quality is good but the quantity is very small for price. The kid's ramen is just noodles and the plainest broth you can imagine. I know it's kid's ramen and what do you expect for four dollars, but it's actually something of a pet peeve of mine when kid's meals are low quality. Add some naruto or an egg or something and put it in some decent broth. The noodles themselves don't have quite the right texture.

The broth for the two bowls we had was nice, especially the vegan option. If you have vegan friends in town and are looking for a place to take them, Crafty would be an interesting option. But having been there once was enough for me.

Not bad, but just kind of meh.
(12-10-2019, 10:47 AM)PhilippAchtel Wrote: I had dinner at Crafty Ramen recently. It was okay, but I wouldn't recommend it very highly. App quality is good but the quantity is very small for price. The kid's ramen is just noodles and the plainest broth you can imagine. I know it's kid's ramen and what do you expect for four dollars, but it's actually something of a pet peeve of mine when kid's meals are low quality. Add some naruto or an egg or something and put it in some decent broth. The noodles themselves don't have quite the right texture.

The broth for the two bowls we had was nice, especially the vegan option. If you have vegan friends in town and are looking for a place to take them, Crafty would be an interesting option. But having been there once was enough for me.

Not bad, but just kind of meh.
I ate there a couple weeks ago on a cold evening. I thought it was a pleasant environment and the food was good. Not exceptional, but a nice addition to DTK food seen. I had the gryphon which was nice and spicy. it was a duck broth which i found to be much better than the plan veggie broth.  I will definitely go back at some point this winter. It is not comparable to some of the places in toronto or vancouver, but it is a start for kitchener.
I see that King Street Trio, in Waterloo, has joined Langdon Hall on the latest Open Table list of the top 100 restaurants in Canada.
(12-10-2019, 10:47 AM)PhilippAchtel Wrote: I had dinner at Crafty Ramen recently. It was okay, but I wouldn't recommend it very highly. App quality is good but the quantity is very small for price. (...)

How small is the quantity? Fine French dining small? Less than American-size small? Somewhere in between?

I personally find that many restaurants have huge portions, so we end up taking food home almost every time. "Right-sized" portions would be good for us.
(12-11-2019, 04:30 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 10:47 AM)PhilippAchtel Wrote: I had dinner at Crafty Ramen recently. It was okay, but I wouldn't recommend it very highly. App quality is good but the quantity is very small for price. (...)

How small is the quantity? Fine French dining small? Less than American-size small? Somewhere in between?

I personally find that many restaurants have huge portions, so we end up taking food home almost every time. "Right-sized" portions would be good for us.

Leftovers are a bad thing? Huh

(12-11-2019, 04:30 AM)tomh009 Wrote:

I also find most restaurant portions far too large, although I tend to leave the uneaten food behind.  To avoid so much waste, I increasingly go out for styles of foods that I know I can handle (eg. tapas/small plates, soups, shared portions, etc).
(12-11-2019, 11:20 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I also find most restaurant portions far too large, although I tend to leave the uneaten food behind.  To avoid so much waste, I increasingly go out for styles of foods that I know I can handle (eg. tapas/small plates, soups, shared portions, etc).

Why would you leave it behind?  The odd time I'll stare at it in the fridge a couple days, but most times the leftovers are eaten the next day (or within a couple hours, depending on the food).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »