Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
(03-30-2024, 12:17 PM)bravado Wrote: If only there were municipal zoning tools to help small local retail thrive and not die all the time in wasteful plazas…

You might have a point, but this is not a good example. Highland Shawarma has had no problems in that plaza because they are one of the best in the region. I was a Chopan Kabob regular until it changed ownership (or whatever caused the quality to plummet) and it deserved to go out of business. Seems to be working as intended.

(03-30-2024, 05:58 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(03-30-2024, 04:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Lots of Indian restaurants, but almost all of the focus on North Indian food, which is more familiar to most people. It's good that we at least have Jayalakshmi and Rangeela for some interesting variety.

There has been an increase in places selling dosas and other South Indian dishes.

Who else is doing South Indian? Ideally in DTK or nearby? Smile
Cambridge has 2 that I can remember quickly, separated by veg and non-veg: https://dakshin.ca
local cambridge weirdo
(03-31-2024, 03:37 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-30-2024, 05:58 PM)Acitta Wrote: There has been an increase in places selling dosas and other South Indian dishes.

Who else is doing South Indian? Ideally in DTK or nearby? Smile

Maha's Kitchen, Dosa Twist (Weber St. E.), Dosa Eatery Kitchener, Dosa Eatery Express (Waterloo)/Kathi Rolls Waterloo, Shiva's Dosa Restaurant, Dosa Twist (Northfield), Dosa Boyz, T.O.’s Kathi Roll Eatery Waterloo, Papa Pancho's Kitchen, Rani Chettinad - The Indian Kitchen (2 locations), Classic Indian, Shiri's Kitchen, Manna's Food Express, Jayalakshmi South Indian Cuisine, Indian Spice, The Grand Malabar, Kachiguda Junction, Kerala Food Court, Ocean Palate Indian and Kerala Cuisine, Shri Dakshin, Dakshin, and Royal Paan are what I found on Google Maps using the searches "kathi roll", "dosa" and "South Indian".
Thanks. I do know some of those.
  • Maha's Kitchen: takeout/delivery only
  • Dosa Twist: Fairway area
  • Dosa Eatery: dosas only
  • Classic Indian: Northfield, mostly North Indian
  • Jayalakshmi: yes, the real thing
  • Indian Spice: yes, but in Waterloo

Dosas are OK, but I would really like to have actual dishes. And we rarely resort to driving for dinner. Maha's Kitchen is one alternative for us, but only in the form of takeout.
Anybody familiar with Crowsfoot in Conestogo? Wondering if it's a good place to take guests from out of town? Lunch or dinner?
(04-12-2024, 10:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Anybody familiar with Crowsfoot in Conestogo?  Wondering if it's a good place to take guests from out of town?  Lunch or dinner?

I find it fairly generic but inoffensive, if that's what you're looking for. It's a decent place to eat outside if the weather is nice. If you're looking for a unique local place, I don't think this is it.

Variedad Latina appears to be closed--due to non-payment of rent, based on the signage at the door.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »