Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
(07-19-2021, 03:29 PM)ac3r Wrote: What's wrong with spending tax money on developing our airport? Some people want tax dollars spent on bike lanes, some of us want it spent on improving general travel throughout our country. This is one step in improving our airport. If they stick around, I'm sure it will boost our economy in many ways as well, which is a benefit. It can also attract more airlines, which again can improve our economy and provide jobs. I've yet to use Flair but I most definitely will do so because getting to Pearson sucks for casual travel. I'm more likely to take a flight out west or east from here rather than figuring out a way to Toronto and wasting half a day on various buses and trains, sitting in an airport and then sitting on a flight. That's incredibly inconvenient.

We're an incredibly rapidly growing region. We need to start investing in stuff like this so we can continue to be an important destination for people and providing people with cheap flights around Canada is great. We all know we're never going to see high speed trail across this nation even if we lived for another 250 years so providing cheap flights around the country is a good thing.

Leaving aside the environmental issues, there are more people and certainly more equality from investing in cycling lanes, than from investing in our airport. And I support improving travel, but I don't support spending 40 million dollars on an airport that consistently fails to attract flights. I hate traveling to Pearson as much as anyone, God knows you've all heard me complain about it. But 40 million dollars could run buses to Toronto, Guelph, Stratford, that transit improvement would make a much bigger impact in more people's lives than simply adding a few flights to our airport.

And frankly, if we're giving up on HSR, that's pointlessly defeatist...if we can invest in an airport, we can invest in rail.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - by danbrotherston - 07-19-2021, 05:05 PM