Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
Yea I'm not seeing much either. Only flight I see on ykf site is the westjet flight (don't I wish they had one that went to Halifax), and on Billy bishop all I see are Porter and ac flights. Looks like though they don't use the main terminal there.

Any search of their callsign (according to Wikipedia is hrn, or homerun) comes up empty.

Edit: all their registered aircraft is here. The few I searched for kept saying either Toronto or St Catherine's

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/c...?cn=%7c%7c&mn=%7c%7c&sn=%7c%7c&on=FLYGTA%7c&m=%7c%7c

I emailed flyGTA and asked if they were, in fact, sold out or if there were other issues.  They responded: "Unfortunately, all flights to Kitchener are not available."   That answer is not very helpful.  So at this stage I have no idea what is going on with flyGTA.  
You can play around with the raw arrival/departure information with this url: https://www.waterlooairport.ca/Common/Se...vals=false

Doesn't really tell us anything though. There are some "missing" flights (consider West Jet shows flights up until the 22nd) but it's possible that there's something to do with when flight information gets updated/added.
(07-18-2018, 08:39 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Yea I'm not seeing much either. Only flight I see on ykf site is the westjet flight (don't I wish they had one that went to Halifax), and on Billy bishop all I see are Porter and ac flights. Looks like though they don't use the main terminal there.

Any search of their callsign (according to Wikipedia is hrn, or homerun) comes up empty.

Edit: all their registered aircraft is here. The few I searched for kept saying either Toronto or St Catherine's

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/c...c&m=%7c%7c

And don't I wish it were YKF-YOW-YHZ.
(07-19-2018, 09:20 AM)jgsz Wrote: I emailed flyGTA and asked if they were, in fact, sold out or if there were other issues.  They responded: "Unfortunately, all flights to Kitchener are not available."   That answer is not very helpful.  So at this stage I have no idea what is going on with flyGTA.  

I would guess this simply means there is no demand for those flights so they are simply not running them?
pilot wants some time off if it is owner/operator
Every time there is a shakeup in the Canadian airline industry I keep hoping that an airline will start using YKF.

The current shakeup is in Hamilton where Flair Airlines announced that it will stop serving Hamilton.  They made their decision shortly after Swoop announced that it will fly out of Hamilton.  Flair has been around for a while but they are not ready to take on Swoop's parent company, WestJet.   Yet, foolishly, Jetlines is still planning on using Hamilton with just one jet.  And they plan on offering the same flights as Swoop.  

I'm hoping that Chris Wood, General Manager at YKF, is in contact with Flair to promote our underserviced airport.

I'd never even heard of Flair! Flair Air, lol.

Looks like they have a flight direct from Toronto to Edmonton. That'd be nice once Valley Line is up and running, and for some rides on the Mindbender!
Flair Air has been in contact with YKF (over a year ago), but I guess it wasn't enough....

I find it so frustrating that a discount airline could use YKF with no competition, yet they choose the airport that is constantly complaining about not having any space at the gates....

Coke
(08-04-2018, 07:42 AM)jgsz Wrote: Every time there is a shakeup in the Canadian airline industry I keep hoping that an airline will start using YKF.

The current shakeup is in Hamilton where Flair Airlines announced that it will stop serving Hamilton.  They made their decision shortly after Swoop announced that it will fly out of Hamilton.  Flair has been around for a while but they are not ready to take on Swoop's parent company, WestJet.   Yet, foolishly, Jetlines is still planning on using Hamilton with just one jet.  And they plan on offering the same flights as Swoop.  

I'm hoping that Chris Wood, General Manager at YKF, is in contact with Flair to promote our underserviced airport.

Flair is shifting the domestic flights from YHM to YYZ.  I agree that JetLines, if it ever flies, will have no chance to succeed at YHM if it is in direct competition with Swoop.
I think this is the same thing WestJet went through originally, trying to use YHM as a Toronto airport, before realizing that people just aren't willing to travel that far and switching to YYZ.

As much as I'd like to see service out of YKF, any person I've ever mentioned it to in Toronto has thought the idea of coming out to YKF (or YHM) for a flight was insane. At least until we have significantly better transit service.
Well that makes sense, if you lived in Toronto, why would you want to drive an hour+, fighting awful 401 traffic, to fly out here?

For us here in Waterloo of course we want flights out of YKF, for the exact same reasons but in the opposite direction.
(08-05-2018, 07:18 AM)Canard Wrote: Well that makes sense, if you lived in Toronto, why would you want to drive an hour+, fighting awful 401 traffic, to fly out here?

For us here in Waterloo of course we want flights out of YKF, for the exact same reasons but in the opposite direction.

And it's not just Waterloo Region, there's probably 1.5 - 2 million people who are on this side of Toronto, who for that same reason be willing to choose YKF.

That's not even counting Windsor who could prefer DTW, and Niagara, who could choose BUF, but even folks in those areas, might prefer YKF (or YHM) if they were traveling to Canadian destinations (or if they had a particular aversion to traveling to the US--which right now, I can understand).

Which is why I'm disappointed that our airport (and Hamilton's) hasn't had more success, but I think it's lack of awareness, higher costs, and limited destinations.  Which are kinda chicken and egg problems. Possibly, we could have done better if London, KW, and Hamilton had all worked together to make one airport this side of Toronto successful, but I doubt such options were even discussed.

One thing is certain though, YYZ is filling up, airlines are already looking to expand.  Our airport has advantages given it's proximity to YYZ, and especially to the train line that also serves YYZ.  Still, it will be a long way off, there are many other options that could materialize.

(08-05-2018, 07:35 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: And it's not just Waterloo Region, there's probably 1.5 - 2 million people who are on this side of Toronto, who for that same reason be willing to choose YKF.

According to this 2016 article in The Record, "people living within 35 kilometres of the airport (YKF) make two million air trips every year." 

It is insane that so many passengers have to travel to Toronto to catch a flight.  
Anybody good with drawing lines on maps and doing distance calculations? It would be interesting to see a map showing what chunk of SOntario is closer to YKF than it is to YYZ, YHM, or YXU. Guelph and points to the north and west would be included, but I suspect Stratford is closer to YXU, and Brantford closer to YHM.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »