Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
You can see the outline using http://gis.region.waterloo.on.ca/Html5Vi...ig/Default .

I just had to search for the airports address 4881 Fountain St

^^ that was my thought, too.
Good luck if you're planning on flying to Toronto this week.  FlyGTA is Sold Out!  I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded their service this spring.

Sold out or canceled? I read somewhere even if they cancel a flight they list it as sold out on their site.
it could be how they handle vacation days if it is that small of an organization
(01-01-2018, 09:47 AM)bgb_ca Wrote: Sold out or canceled? I read somewhere even if they cancel a flight they list it as sold out on their site.

I suppose it's technically true, if you sell out all 0 of the 0 seats for sale...
(01-01-2018, 12:21 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 09:47 AM)bgb_ca Wrote: Sold out or canceled? I read somewhere even if they cancel a flight they list it as sold out on their site.

I suppose it's technically true, if you sell out all 0 of the 0 seats for sale...

Perhaps someone with better knowledge of YKF could clarify the situation.  If those flights are in fact sold out that would mean more flights to Billy Bishop Airport in the near future.  Toronto to Niagara started out with two flights a day but now they offer four flights a day, plus weekend flights.

Could also be technical problems with the plane related to the weather. In that YouTube video of the guys who flew/drove/took the train to Toronto, the guy who flew was delayed severely because it was too cold for the plane to start, so his flight was cancelled. This week is going to be another double-digit negative one so maybe they’ve just given up until it gets warmer.
The Waterloo Airport flight status has nothing for FlyGTA departures for tomorrow - so I'm guessing they're all cancelled flights.

I don't think we ever had confirmation that they list cancelled flights as sold out.  Just our conjecture based on what we've seen happening.

Edit: Also, I don't think its a big deal for them to be cancelling flights this week. It's reasonable that demand is down and/or they don't have the additional capacity to handle vacations/maintenance work so cancel flights during down time.
The optics for future customers play better to say “Sold Out!” than “CANCELLED”.

Do they have a twitter account? Might be easiest just to ask them what’s up.
(01-01-2018, 02:46 PM)Canard Wrote: The optics for future customers play better to say “Sold Out!” than “CANCELLED”.

Do they have a twitter account? Might be easiest just to ask them what’s up.

Is it too much to expect honesty from airlines?
There's a real possibility that its more just a software 'bug' ('feature'?) and not intentional dishonesty.
(01-02-2018, 11:11 AM)SammyOES Wrote: There's a real possibility that its more just a software 'bug' ('feature'?) and not intentional dishonesty.

A definite possibility. If so, I would characterize it more as a lack of a feature — specifically, the ability to mark a flight as cancelled. So instead they just remove all the seats, or replace the equipment with a fake zero-seat aircraft type, or mark all the seats as reserved.

But that is still speculation; I don’t really know.

The Sold Out note was not dishonesty and not a glitch.  People are really starting to use this service.  Here is part of an email I received from FlyGta:

Quote:Thank you for contacting us, although most flights are sold between Kitchener/Waterloo this week, we will not be increasing flights at this time, however this is something that we are working towards in the future. We are working to increase our flights over the weekends as well, please stay tuned for release date on those particular flights.  
Westjet is making a schedule change to the flights arriving to YKF from Calgary.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/804...o-breslau/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »