Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
They should be able to fill at least a few planeloads with locals interested in the novelty of the flight, so you're right that it would be a disappointment if the first flight weren't sold out. As of Monday morning, the second day's flights are not.

And a bonus water cannon to boot!

Tomorrow morning only has 1 seat sold so far.

Coke
Heard on the radio that there were 2 reporters on board (one from 570 news, the other from the record) as well as someone from the Ports Authority (I assume they own  or operate Billy Bishop Airport).  The radio reporter did indicate there was one business person passenger but I don't know if that means the other 5 seats were filled with politicians/bureaucrats/media types or not.
I'd be curious what their business model is and how much capacity they're actually expecting and need to fill. Maybe they aren't really aiming to sell out every flight because a large portion of their target demographic will need relatively last minute seats?

Although it doesn't sound great so far...
(11-06-2017, 10:53 AM)SammyOES Wrote: Although it doesn't sound great so far...

Almost any new business will start off slow and then grow the volume of business.  A new airline on a new route would be the same.  As long as they have planned for it, this should not be a problem.

The real question is the long-term demand, and we won't know that for some time yet.
I should think that a good bit of the early traffic would be from "one offs", looking to give themselves a small adventure/treat.
Tom, sure, definitely not a reason to panic. But its also not a great start.

When 1 passenger represents 12.5% of the capacity of the plane, of course it’s going to look bad.
IIRC, FlyGTA started out with 2 flights a day to Niagara.  Today, it's four flights a day and they do 1 trip on Saturday and Sunday.  I'm sure Waterloo Region can generate more than two flights a day.  But it will take a bit of time.  

Hope the reporters weren't planning on coming back today....

Coke
I'm curious if those cancellations are due to non-selling of flights.
Uh oh!

They sounded pretty positive about the flight on 570 News just now. We’ll see what CTV says tonight I guess!
Yesterday morning (Wednesday) we decided to go to Toronto by taking FlyGTA from YKF.  

The airport was very empty when we arrived and I was curious to see if anyone is using FlyGTA.  When the plane arrived from Toronto only one passenger was on board.  On the flight to Toronto there were five passengers.  I was expecting to see 'executive types' travelling and one of the passengers may have been travelling on business.      My hubby and I were going to Toronto to see Bat Out of Hell and, amazingly, two other passengers were going to Toronto to see the same play.  On the way back from Toronto only the four theatre people were on board.  

The flight to and from Toronto was very smooth but it was a clear day and there was almost no wind.  FlyGTA could use some more signage at Billy Bishop Airport.  It was a lovely day so we didn't mind walking to the main terminal to take the tunnel.  Plus we managed to take some pics of the Toronto skyline.  

Glad you enjoyed my airport! Smile
We flew FlyGTA from YKF yesterday. The best part is watching the skyline as we land at Billy Bishop.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RG19S6Dq9vnxNXyh1
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »