Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
Looks like Saturday August 26th is the 3rd annual Aviation Fun Day at the airport. 10am to 4pm. Smile

http://www.waterlooairport.ca/en/aboutth...mid_=35752

Event details and map: http://www.waterlooairport.ca/en/resourc...1_2017.pdf

Has there been anything in the local news to indicate the purpose of Min. Garneau's visit to YKF and YHM yesterday?
Marwan had a bunch of photos on his Facebook page, but nothing of substance. There was one interesting shot of the meeting at the airport with Tom sitting next to a board with a map showing an HSR connection, which I thought was rather exciting...
Could be related to the YYZ initiative to create a transport hub, and connect it to other airports using HSR?
Sad YKF news, WestJet will not be returning the Orlando flight to YKF this winter season. We will just have one Sunwing per week, and a daily Calgary. [Which is moving to an early morning departure/arrival. This may be beneficial for making connections in Calgary, but I think it will be the death of both of the cafe's that the Edelweiss runs in the airport... The one in the public area is closing, the one in departures will be on shaky ground, esp. since there will be no alcohol sales (as flights will be at 6 am) ]

Coke
Bummer, I was hoping they'd actually expand the Orlando flight to run year-round. I typically go in October, out of Buffalo with Southwest and a local option is super-appealing.

This is such a rinse-and-repeat problem. Some airline comes and dips their toe in YKF, won't fully submerge, and then goes "No it's too cold" and runs away.
It goes both ways, too. People say they want flights out of YKF, then get an option out of YKF, then say "no, I can get cheaper tickets from Buffalo or Pearson" and don't fly, and then the flight disappears.

Right, but I'm not paying double to fly out of YKF. There's some ratio I'm willing to pay a little more for (1.1x?) and I'd probably go as high as 1.3x over Pearson since I hate flying out of it so much, but it was like 2x or 3x or something over BUF. And didn't fly when I wanted to go. So... yeah.
And that's something that's hard to work with. Buffalo has the capacity (in runways and in population draw) to offer many more departure/arrival times to many more places with a greater chance of them being immediately full. We don't, so unless we can change some part of the equation, it's not easy to justify offering us service as a main hub, let alone as an airport only served for a single route of a large corporation (the case with everyone currently operating out of there).
(08-21-2017, 05:40 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: And that's something that's hard to work with. Buffalo has the capacity (in runways and in population draw) to offer many more departure/arrival times to many more places with a greater chance of them being immediately full. We don't, so unless we can change some part of the equation, it's not easy to justify offering us service as a main hub, let alone as an airport only served for a single route of a large corporation (the case with everyone currently operating out of there).

Not sure why, but I haven't flown out of BUF for a while now. I think that part of it was that US Airways had a better network than the three United flights out of there, and if I'm going to drive 2 hours, I better get some status miles from it.
Southwest is always my first choice. Great fares, and I've always, 100% had a positive experience with them.
(08-21-2017, 10:01 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Sad YKF news, WestJet will not be returning the Orlando flight to YKF this winter season.  We will just have one Sunwing per week, and a daily Calgary.  [Which is moving to an early morning departure/arrival.  This may be beneficial for making connections in Calgary, but I think it will be the death of both of the cafe's that the Edelweiss runs in the airport... The one in the public area is closing, the one in departures will be on shaky ground, esp. since there will be no alcohol sales (as flights will be at 6 am) ]

Coke

While 6:15 is a little early I do like this option that we can now connect in Calgary to get to the west coast.

I would have also liked to see Orlando expanded, sad that it's going away.
I connected through to Victoria recently, although landing at 1115 local was a bit late.

‘We have cancelled the non-stop seasonal flight from Waterloo to Orlando’: WestJet

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/we-ha...-1.3576878
(09-06-2017, 11:34 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: ‘We have cancelled the non-stop seasonal flight from Waterloo to Orlando’: WestJet

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/we-ha...-1.3576878

Breaking news.... You heard it from Coke in August! ;Wink 

Now I know how insider feels! LOL
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »