Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
/\ Hey. Only just saw it on CTV's site today and thought it worthy of posting.

Didn't know it had already been posted.

Sorry

(09-06-2017, 04:37 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: /\ Hey. Only just it on CTV's site today and thought it worthy of posting.

Sorry

Being on CTV is post-worthy news!

Coke is just having a bit of fun.
(09-06-2017, 06:12 PM)Markster Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 04:37 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: /\ Hey. Only just it on CTV's site today and thought it worthy of posting.

Sorry

Being on CTV is post-worthy news!

Coke is just having a bit of fun.

THIS.  I'm not the kind of person who can jump all over anyone who repeats posted info, as I'm normally the guilty one! :p  So no need to apologize to me at least!

Coke
The last line of the CTV article states.

Quote:WestJet also said that there has been no change to the Calgary – Waterloo schedule.

Not true. I was looking to book some flights to the west coast and as of Monday, October 30 the daily flight to YYC moves from 7:35 p.m. to 6:15 a.m.

The flight from Calgary to Kitchener moves to a red eye at 11:55 p.m. and lands at YKF at 5:26 a.m.

So my question is - is this new schedule a hail mary attempt to save the route or is it based on sound market research?
(09-07-2017, 11:22 AM)Chris Wrote: The last line of the CTV article states.

Quote:WestJet also said that there has been no change to the Calgary – Waterloo schedule.

Not true. I was looking to book some flights to the west coast and as of Monday, October 30 the daily flight to YYC moves from 7:35 p.m. to 6:15 a.m.

The flight from Calgary to Kitchener moves to a red eye at 11:55 p.m. and lands at YKF at 5:26 a.m.

So my question is - is this new schedule a hail mary attempt to save the route or is it based on sound market research?

The change is to better allow for connections at Calgary.  Currently you could fly into Calgary, stay on board to continue to Vancouver or Abbotsford (Depending on the season), but any other connection required an overnight stay. 

Its not a positive for the staffing of affiliated groups at the airport (Café loses alcohol sales, and is shuttering one of the two cafes... Airport security (CATSA) could work both WestJet flight in YKF and morning flights in YHM, but now with the conflicting times, can only do one location, hurting them financially.

Maybe there will be happier news on the horizon... fingers crossed for Monday. Wink [See my next post]

Coke

Canada Jetlines Signs Letter of Intent
for Boeing 737-800NG Aircraft

September 07, 2017

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA, Canada Jetlines Ltd. (JET: TSX-V) (the “Company” or “Jetlines”) today announced that it has entered into a Letter of Intent for two Boeing 737-800NG aircraft with a major U.S. based aircraft leasing firm for delivery in April 2018.

Jetlines CEO Stan Gadek said, “This agreement marks an important step in securing our aircraft fleet to become Canada’s first Ultra-Low Cost Carrier (“ULCC”). The 737-800NG is the aircraft of choice for ULCCs world-wide and will give Jetlines the ability to offer Canadians Ultra-Low Fares to points in Canada, the U.S., Mexico, and the Caribbean.”

Jetlines plans to operate modern Boeing 737-800NG aircraft in a 189 seat, all-coach configuration. Jetlines believes that Canadians deserve to have affordable low fares with the added convenience of operating from secondary airports. Additional services for baggage, seat selection and onboard beverages will be available to customers for an additional charge. Jetlines is planning to begin ticket sales through its website www.jetlines.ca in Spring 2018 and targeting start of flight operations for Summer 2018, subject to government approval.

Gadek went on to say, “Canadians are paying far too much for air travel and we intend to change that when we take to the skies. These aircraft are the perfect choice and will bring affordable ticket prices to Canada.”

Toronto Press Conference
Press and media are invited to attend the event with Canada Jetlines CEO Stan Gadek and Executive Chairman Mark Morabito.

The event will take place at the offices of Fasken Martineau:

* Monday, September 11, 2017
* 10 AM (Eastern)
* Bay Adelaide Center
* 2400 – 333 Bay Street
* Toronto, Ontario

The event will also be broadcast on YouTube Live and accessible through the link below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62MCyfwTzzc
You can still lobby Jetlines to come to YKF.   Click on Proposed Routes and send them a message that you'd like to see them fly out of YKF.

I'll have to stalk the parking lot Monday morning to see if @YKFGM heads out on the road.  Big Grin

Coke
Canada Jetlines to Offer Low-Fare Air Service
From Two Toronto Metropolitan Area Airports Commencing Summer 2018

September 11, 2017

Canada Jetlines Ltd. (TSX-V: JET) (the “Company” or “Jetlines”) is pleased to announce that it intends to offer ultra-low fare service from both John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport and Region of Waterloo International Airport, when it begins flight operations in Summer 2018.

Stan Gadek, CEO of Jetlines stated “the high demand for lower airfares in the Toronto Metropolitan Area has led to the decision to base our flying in this region. As a result, we are pleased to announce that we have entered into an agreement with the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport and are in active discussions with Region of Waterloo International Airport. The combined service area for these airports includes nearly four million people. This factored significantly in our decision to serve both airports.”

President & CEO for John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport, Vijay Bathija, said “as Hamilton International continues to grow as a low-cost airport in the Toronto Metropolitan Area, the Airport is pleased that Jetlines has chosen Hamilton as its Eastern focus city providing further low-cost travel options for Hamilton and the region.”

General Manager for Region of Waterloo International Airport, Chris Wood, said “We look forward to continuing discussions with Jetlines as they plan the launch of a new ULCC to serve the very dynamic economy in the Waterloo Region.”

Jetlines plans to offer ultra-low fare service to the major markets in Canada and select destinations in the U.S., Mexico, and the Caribbean. Mr. Gadek added “Canadians are overpaying for air travel and we intend to change that. By offering customers the freedom to select the travel experience they want in addition to getting every day ultra-low fares, Jetlines will change the way that Canadians fly.”
Yesssss!!!!
(09-11-2017, 06:52 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Canada Jetlines to Offer Low-Fare Air Service
From Two Toronto Metropolitan Area Airports Commencing Summer 2018

September 11, 2017

Canada Jetlines Ltd. (TSX-V: JET) (the “Company” or “Jetlines”) is pleased to announce that it intends to offer ultra-low fare service from both John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport and Region of Waterloo International Airport, when it begins flight operations in Summer 2018.

Stan Gadek, CEO of Jetlines stated “the high demand for lower airfares in the Toronto Metropolitan Area has led to the decision to base our flying in this region. As a result, we are pleased to announce that we have entered into an agreement with the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport and are in active discussions with Region of Waterloo International Airport. The combined service area for these airports includes nearly four million people. This factored significantly in our decision to serve both airports.”

President & CEO for John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport, Vijay Bathija, said “as Hamilton International continues to grow as a low-cost airport in the Toronto Metropolitan Area, the Airport is pleased that Jetlines has chosen Hamilton as its Eastern focus city providing further low-cost travel options for Hamilton and the region.”

General Manager for Region of Waterloo International Airport, Chris Wood, said “We look forward to continuing discussions with Jetlines as they plan the launch of a new ULCC to serve the very dynamic economy in the Waterloo Region.”

Jetlines plans to offer ultra-low fare service to the major markets in Canada and select destinations in the U.S., Mexico, and the Caribbean. Mr. Gadek added “Canadians are overpaying for air travel and we intend to change that. By offering customers the freedom to select the travel experience they want in addition to getting every day ultra-low fares, Jetlines will change the way that Canadians fly.”

That's awesome news!!!
I'll believe it when I see it. Big Grin

(Yes, I'm a party pooper).
Routes will be announced today. YKFGM will be speaking to the media today (not at press conference tho). I was told there will be more US flights from here than domestic... [Which is good news for me].... looking forward to the announcement.

Coke

I expect other airlines will notice and take YKF seriously.
(09-11-2017, 09:00 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Routes will be announced today.  YKFGM will be speaking to the media today (not at press conference tho).  I was told there will be more US flights from here than domestic... [Which is good news for me].... looking forward to the announcement.

Coke

I guessing (wishful thinking) Ottawa (Gatineau?) and Winnipeg/Vancouver (Abbotsford?).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »