Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
(11-07-2016, 08:22 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(11-07-2016, 02:04 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I have a colleague who's already said she would not take any flight from YKF because of the air miles, so that her personal trips and her daughter's could be more easily accessed. For someone flying a couple times a year, it doesn't make as much sense, but if work pays for the extra time and costs of going to Pearson instead of taking a flight from YKF, and you do this or this kind of flight weekly, then I can see where the motivation comes from.

If your work is paying for the trip and you are claiming the air miles. Sorry to say. That is a taxable income that you need to claim to Rev Canada.

Not necessarily, especially true if points not converted to cash.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/p...u-eng.html

Seems strange to care about the miles on these super short flights unless you're close to making a higher level.

The points themselves for these dinky flights are basically worthless and not worth any sort of extra inconvenience.
(11-08-2016, 09:20 AM)SammyOES2 Wrote: Seems strange to care about the miles on these super short flights unless you're close to making a higher level.

Most of the airline programs also allow you to qualify for status based on segments.  On AC, the top tier is either 100K miles or 95 segments per year.
(11-07-2016, 11:26 AM)Markster Wrote:
(11-07-2016, 11:15 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: Hmm, I seem to remember a friend showing me a selfie in a tiny little Bearskin plane on his way to Ottawa. Maybe I got confused.

Well, I'm certain that Bearskin probably has those kinds of planes in their fleet too!

Aside from "no bathroom" in the 24-seater, I also found it amusing that, of your two "carry on" items, the larger one goes in the nose of the plane.  Ha!  Considering the flight was only 50 minutes, I managed to survive without.

This is the plane from Bearskin that we took to Montreal in 2011. The nick name for the plane was the cigar.

Air Canada may expand Rouge to compete with new low-cost airlines
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on...e32695732/

I wonder if Air Canada would bring a Rouge flight or two here with Jetlines considering flying out of YKF.
(11-08-2016, 09:50 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 09:20 AM)SammyOES2 Wrote: Seems strange to care about the miles on these super short flights unless you're close to making a higher level.

Most of the airline programs also allow you to qualify for status based on segments.  On AC, the top tier is either 100K miles or 95 segments per year.

Fair point.  I didn't really think of that because segments rarely come into play for me.
Here is part of an email I got from Dix Lawson  at Canada Jetlines:

Quote:As you probably know, we intend on opening a base of operations in southwestern Ontario. This would be ideally located at a single airport and the current plan (assuming we achieve our financing) is to base 18 aircraft in Ontario over eight years commencing in late 2017. These aircraft and the associated people would have a significant impact wherever they are placed.

Thank you for the information on the proposed Breslau GO station. A direct line into the GO system would be very beneficial to any airline passengers arriving or departing Waterloo Regional. I’ll probe this possibility with the airport officials when I meet with them next week.

... We are quite interested in the air transportation needs of the people of Waterloo catchment area and the potential to establish a long term relationship.

You can help Waterloo Region become a hub for this airline by sending them an email to encourage them.  It will only take a few minutes and it could prove to be a game changer.

Does he mean southwestern Ontario in addition to the GTA/Golden Horseshoe? As in a hub in Waterloo or London, as well as Hamilton?
(11-08-2016, 02:55 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Does he mean southwestern Ontario in addition to the GTA/Golden Horseshoe? As in a hub in Waterloo or London, as well as Hamilton?

You could ask them but I don't think they're exploring all possibilities.  I suspect they're open to YKF being their hub.  Perhaps folks here, on WRC,  could convince them to come here.
For a purely selfish reason, any flight outside of Canada makes Coke a happy camper! Wink

Coke
(11-08-2016, 04:08 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 02:55 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Does he mean southwestern Ontario in addition to the GTA/Golden Horseshoe? As in a hub in Waterloo or London, as well as Hamilton?

You could ask them but I don't think they're exploring all possibilities.  I suspect they're open to YKF being their hub.  Perhaps folks here, on WRC,  could convince them to come here.

If the competition is YHM, then one hopes the local politicos do a better job than they did with Schneiders!  Bring out some honey!
I went to the master plan meeting tonight, it was informative. Fellow WCR member (I believe he is still an active member) Chris Woods gave a presentation on the plan in addition to the information panels placed in the atrium.
(11-10-2016, 10:30 PM)rangersfan Wrote:  Chris Woods gave a presentation on the plan in addition to the information panels placed in the atrium.

Fixed that.

Fingers crossed Canada Jetlines picks our local airport as their Southwestern Ontario hub:

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=995233#995233

Coke
The fact that WestJet is ramping up its flights from YHM would seem to favour YKF for Canada Jetlines, no? I have trouble seeing a discount start-up going head-to-head with either WestJet or Air Canada.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »