Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Walking in Waterloo Region
So now we just make sh*t up!

(05-21-2019, 07:14 PM)creative Wrote: Please provide where our traffic engineers say specifically that this is an “inappropriate solution”!

I am of course speaking as someone who has spoken to these people in person. I do not have a quote.

But nice of you to call me a liar.
Very cool. Kind of sad that its first implementation in the Region is in a big box development to help motorists get from their cars to the door (instead of, say, at a busy intersection in the University zone). But maybe local government will take a cue.
I think it's nice to see a strip mall even give a hoot about pedestrian safety.
Anyone know where these have been painted? I drove from one end to the other yesterday on my way to the Hydrocut and didn't see the new crosswalks.
(05-23-2019, 09:20 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: Anyone know where these have been painted? I drove from one end to the other yesterday on my way to the Hydrocut and didn't see the new crosswalks.

Looks like Immediately in front of the medical center from the pictures I saw
Pedestrian safety vs. parking spaces: guess what wins?

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/939...-crossing/

(05-28-2019, 05:52 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Pedestrian safety vs. parking spaces: guess what wins?

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/939...-crossing/

Not just pedestrian safety, but safety in general.  Two stopped cars will block the Fire Hall?  Genius!

Coke

#SafetyFirst     #SafetySecond
I guess no one will cross the street to shop at those local businesses on the other side of the road.
Yikes.
I wish everyone had a better understanding of the rules about crosswalks and crossovers. I just had a group of adults screaming obscenities at me because they expected me to stop and let them cross from a refuge island on an open section of road. The same section has a school crossing where I've had people step out in front of the car because they think they have the right of way at all times. I'm obviously not going to mow down someone who's already crossing when I get there, and I always try to be courteous to pedestrians when I'm driving, but I refuse to give someone the wave of death by stopping to let them cross when I have the right of way.
(06-29-2019, 01:18 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I wish everyone had a better understanding of the rules about crosswalks and crossovers. I just had a group of adults screaming obscenities at me because they expected me to stop and let them cross from a refuge island on an open section of road. The same section has a school crossing where I've had people step out in front of the car because they think they have the right of way at all times. I'm obviously not going to mow down someone who's already crossing when I get there, and I always try to be courteous to pedestrians when I'm driving, but I refuse to give someone the wave of death by stopping to let them cross when I have the right of way.

Yeah, I've had a guy come up to me and threaten to assault me because I refused to cross and waved a car through.

Honestly, I'm being precise when I say our current laws are pessimal.  Maximum conflict, maximum delay.

Well, I once had a guy jump out of his car at King and Benton and threaten to assault me because I politely objected to him blocking the crosswalk. I frequently see cars stop and wave me across when I am on the refuge island on Queen St. at the Iron Horse Trail. You guys need let go of your sense of privilege. This forum is called "Walking in Waterloo Region", not "Fuck Pedestrians".
(06-29-2019, 02:32 PM)Acitta Wrote: Well, I once had a guy jump out of his car at King and Benton and threaten to assault me because I politely objected to him blocking the crosswalk. I frequently see cars stop and wave me across when I am on the refuge island on Queen St. at the Iron Horse Trail. You guys need let go of your sense of privilege. This forum is called "Walking in Waterloo Region", not "Fuck Pedestrians".

Just to clarify, when you are at a controlled intersection (i.e., with a stop sign or traffic signal) pedestrians have the right of way over cars. When you are at a crosswalk (not a "PXO" which is marked "yield to pedestrians") you do not.  So the refuge island at Queen St. drivers have the right of way over cars.  I'm not saying that's a good policy, I'm saying that's what the law says today.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here.  But to be honest, I have no idea what you're getting at, nobody here is saying anything like what you seem to be reading it as.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »