Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Walking in Waterloo Region
Given the huge opposition, I expect there will be opposition, again.

I think I remember discussing with staff at the time whether this would require them to come to council for approval for every sidewalk and suggesting this wasn't a good idea.

Ah, catching up on this thread, i now understand what caused the Region to tweet about pedestrian crossings.

https://twitter.com/RegionWaterloo/statu...32992?s=19
Pride-rainbow crosswalks were installed in two places today: in Kitchener, across Joseph street by the Victoria Park entrance; and in Waterloo, across Willis Way between Caroline and King. Kitchener had a brief ceremony today, Waterloo's will be tomorrow.
Willis way crossing:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Do Kitchener or Waterloo have rules/laws around keeping pedestrian accesses available during long-term construction projects? I encountered many long-term closures today (e.g. Caroline between Allen and John, Benton near the arrow lofts, Benton near the Barra project) that just seems ridiculous that there isn't more of a plan in place to keep the access open especially with so many projects about to start up.

This stretch along Park was much marginally better the last 6 months for snow removal and keeping the sidewalk clear of obstructions, but they are slipping again with trucks over-hanging the sidewalk and the fence forcing you in to traffic:

Tender for new sidewalks and MUT:

A seemingly-simple question to the Kitchener Reddit has launched a surprising discussion. https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...nd_people/

(06-13-2018, 04:59 PM)KevinL Wrote: A seemingly-simple question to the Kitchener Reddit has launched a surprising discussion. https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...nd_people/

Not sure if it's accurate, but I believe the answer is:

From: https://ontariotrafficman.wordpress.com/...ally-work/
Of course a lot of people don't realize the button is only for the sound and press it anyway in order to get a green light ...
There are a few cases of buttons that have had the wrong faceplate installed.
You never know, so you may as well press it while you wait.
I always press because I like the tactile “ka-PUCK” that these new buttons make with virtually no movement of the button. Makes me grin every time.
(06-14-2018, 06:15 AM)Canard Wrote: I always press because I like the tactile “ka-PUCK” that these new buttons make with virtually no movement of the button. Makes me grin every time.

There is a niceness about that sound. Have you noticed that they also vibrate while chirping? I was impressed the first time I noticed. There seems to be a lot going on in the design of these interfaces.
Yaaaaas!

But the ka-PUCK is brilliant. It’s like the button doesn’t physically move. I haven’t decided yet if it’s just a big capacitive prox or what.

Like the new trackpads in macbooks! In order to reduce mechanical components, *clicking* the trackpad really just activates a vibration motor inside the laptop to mimmick a mechanical click, while the trackpad itself doesnt move. Virtually indistiguishable Smile
Also iPhone home buttons.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »