Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Walking in Waterloo Region
(01-30-2018, 09:36 PM)Canard Wrote: They said the pedestrian was jaywalking and might be charged, but as others have pointed out here, jaywalking is only illegal (and a thing) in Toronto.  It doesn't exist anywhere else

"Jaywalking" is not well defined.  Crossing mid-block is legal. Crossing against a red light is not.

Yes, crossing mid-block is legal, so long as you adequately account for the safety of yourself and other road users. It now appears this individual was impaired by alcohol, which made them unable to adequately do so.

While this is better than not driving while intoxicated, it still has risks.
Residents fight against pedestrian link to Chandler-Mowat
(01-31-2018, 03:54 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Residents fight against pedestrian link to Chandler-Mowat

That's ugly.   Sad

Fortunately, the mayor seems to have given them short shrift.
That's actually pretty offensive. I'm not sure what the right word is for this. Elitism?
(01-31-2018, 06:07 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 03:54 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Residents fight against pedestrian link to Chandler-Mowat

That's ugly.   Sad

Fortunately, the mayor seems to have given them short shrift.

Unanimous vote at this point, too. One of the things I like about the Region is that some issues that I suspect might become big political fights in Toronto just sail through with large majorities or even unanimity at Council. Even the LRT, while it was a big discussion, ultimately sailed through Council with votes that were not at all close.

If I lived in that neighbourhood I would be happy to have the dramatically shortened access to the Laurentian Mall, in particular the Zehr’s, which goes from being a convenient drive to a short walk — just slightly more than my short walk to Valumart. McLennan Park also becomes much more convenient.
(01-31-2018, 06:39 PM)timc Wrote: That's actually pretty offensive. I'm not sure what the right word is for this. Elitism?

Yes, although given the neighbourhood it's apparently coming from "ironic elitism" might be more accurate.

I once lived on Avalon. For anyone there to consider Chandler significantly different from a class or crime-risk standpoint is a bit much.
I had to marvel at the efficiency of one truck simultaneously blocking the road lane, the sidewalk, and the very alley it should be using, all at once:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
That truck in that alley? I doubt it.
(03-16-2018, 11:31 AM)timc Wrote: That truck in that alley? I doubt it.

Why not?  It's a straight through alley, no sharp turns.  Turning into the alley would be slow, but the roads abutting it are wide, so that's not going to be an issue either.  There's no reason it couldn't fit.  It would obviously block traffic, but they're already blocking the alley.  This way they would *only* block the alley.
Eby Manor's driver doesn't have to use the alley, but why would he choose to pull up on the sidewalk and block that? Just stay in the road lane- it's being made impassable anyway- with the four-ways on. There are other lanes for traffic to use, which is not true of the sidewalk.
Alarm bells sounded about safety of Chicopee Hills school crosswalk

Quote:"The crossing guard had pushed the button, the lights were flashing and the group had started to cross," St. Laurent said Friday standing near the crosswalk that students take to get to the new public school.

"A van had driven through the crosswalk nearly hitting him. Very, very close. If the boy had maybe taken another step and the crossing guard hadn't been there, he probably would have been hit."

St. Laurent has written to the Region of Waterloo and the Waterloo Region District School Board because she said there have been too many near misses, and she's worried a student will be injured — or worse.

I`ve noticed no issue with that crosswalk. I do notice on a daily basis at Fairway/Pebble Creek intersection, turning motorists proceeding while the crossing guard is still out with the stop sign. He yells at the cars daily, and things never seem to change....

Coke
Kitchener's recommended sidewalk infill projects for 2019:

Not surprisingly, one of the top reasons for opposition to new sidewalks continues to be: snow removal
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »