Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Walking in Waterloo Region
Well, everyone kept saying that this bridge was "super cheap" because they re-used a pier... but, my experience in automation tells me that it's just as expensive (if not more so) to re-purpose an old machine than it is to just start from scratch.

So, if they did have to do any "beefing up" of the existing pier... I bet the savings were minimal, if anything.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
I can't speak for the cost, but there is less concrete in the landfill for sure!
That's okay, we added lots from the LRT platform rework. Big Grin Nature's drywall.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
(11-07-2017, 09:02 PM)Canard Wrote: Well, everyone kept saying that this bridge was "super cheap" because they re-used a pier... but, my experience in automation tells me that it's just as expensive (if not more so) to re-purpose an old machine than it is to just start from scratch.

So, if they did have to do any "beefing up" of the existing pier... I bet the savings were minimal, if anything.

I imagine there was significant savings in things like environmental assessment. There are many stakeholders when it comes to rivers like the Grand, the existing pier allowed them to skip a great deal of that.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
That I could certainly believe!
I took a walk through uptown along King this week (still a long way to go but more concrete poured this week) and I can't believe with all that work they didn't take the opportunity to make as many of those businesses as possible accessible. Some of them actually seem worse than before.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I expect that it was a matter of asking the various businesses to chip in to cover the added costs of ramps. Alternately, raising the sidewalk generally higher might have created challenges with respect to curb height at various pedestrian crossings.

Or it could have been a matter of, "Oops, it wasn't in the initial project scope so it didn't get added."