Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Walking in Waterloo Region
Maybe they’re not supposed to fit through there? What’s the situation on the right? Aren’t the sidewalks supposed to be super-wide, here?
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
It is extremely disappointing how poorly placed so many of the elements from the LRT are. They would never have put a box or pole in the middle of the road, and yet it seems little to no effort was made to keep them out of the middle of the sidewalk.
(10-14-2017, 11:44 AM)Canard Wrote: Maybe they’re not supposed to fit through there? What’s the situation on the right? Aren’t the sidewalks supposed to be super-wide, here?

The situation is that they are in the process of rebuilding the new King St streetscape, but some of the utility boxes that were placed last year from Ion construction are limiting the available detours because of their placement in the middle of the existing/future sidewalk.

I already mentioned this misplaced utility box a year ago in the Ion thread.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2865]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2864]
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(10-14-2017, 11:39 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: I really feel badly for the business between the Ion tracks and Erb having to endure years of construction. I hope they can survive a few more months.

Here is one of the latest access challenges from the last few weeks near Famoso Pizza:

I think you mean Famoso Pizzer.
The second layer has been added some places in uptown, apparently the bike lanes will be concrete in some places.

Are there plans to paint it something more distinctive than brown? For instance lime green to match the bike boxes and sharrows or red as in other cities?

I personally find the paint slippery with the slightest bit of moisture so I am ok if it stays brown (assuming the brown is part of the concrete mix and not painted on after).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.