Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Walking in Waterloo Region
(01-18-2017, 09:30 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(01-05-2017, 10:58 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: With a remote button at Peppler. Lights at the trail would also stop almost all traffic coming to Peppler — the only exception would be people coming out of driveways since there are no intersections. Another creative idea that, if past experience is any guide, will totally blow the mind of planners such that they can’t even understand it, much less rationally evaluate its feasibility.

I should also comment that on one-way streets there is no reason based on traffic flow to restrict the number of pedestrian (or other) crossings — just synchronize them so if they’re all activated traffic on the street still gets a green wave. In fact traffic lights could also be used to enforce any speed desired.

… imaginative …

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, I think the one I left in the quotation is the killer.

(01-18-2017, 09:30 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: "The Region of Waterloo is currently reviewing this crossing in conjunction with the City of Waterloo. Transportation is reviewing the relocation of the pedestrian signals at Peppler Street to the Laurel trail crossing. A public consultation will be taking place (with letters mailed to surrounding residents) regarding this issue. This is a joint venture with the City of Waterloo and will be proposed based on available funds in the 2017 budget."

Note, they're talking about relocation. Adding an additional crossing does not appear to be on the table.
Well, yeah, it's like 10 m from the existing crossing. Smile Unless I'm missing something.
(01-19-2017, 01:00 PM)Canard Wrote: Well, yeah, it's like 10 m from the existing crossing.  Smile  Unless I'm missing something.

Yes, you're missing about 100m.

The discussion above was talking about how to feasibly add a new crossing, in addition to the Peppler one. I just wanted to make sure it's clear that the response is not talking about that.
The crossing at the Laurel Trail and Erb?  Like, if you're going North, you push the button (at Erb) and then go across, and have to sort of dodgily go across Peppler at a weird angle to get onto the trail (when I look at the map now this is a greater distance than I was remembering it, around 40 m - and I was just biking there last weekend, shame on me).

So we have a pushbutton crossing at "A" and we are asking for a pushbutton crossing at "B"?

(01-19-2017, 01:24 PM)Canard Wrote: The crossing at the Laurel Trail and Erb?

Nope, we're talking about Bridgeport. This would explain your incredulity!

Honestly, I feel that there should be crosswalks at each of Peppler, Laurel Trail, Moore, and Devitt...

The trail and Peppler are not too close together. A trail needs to include a way to cross a busy arterial like that one.

They should just have it synched with the green wave and then its automatic and completey transparent to motorists, and nobody had to push a button - the walk cycle just automatically happens.
I agree with that, and there should be a countdown at the trail to tell people when the light will turn red for cars. Buttons that do nothing (this is a problem in a lot of places- it is programmed to either do nothing, or to act in ways that are hard to immediately guess) are very frustrating, and lead to crossing illegally. This is to do with the uncertainty about how long the wait will be. Give people information about the wait, and it will be better.
A countdown facing the trail would be awesome!! If I'm riding up, this would tell me if I need to gun it or can just coast along and relax in order to make it across.
Great idea - use the 'countdown light' on the bottom to both count down the time remaining on the Walk AND on the Don't Walk.
Yesyesyes!! Love this somuch. Plz make happen!
Is there a reason why the crossing light doesn't just change in time with the other lights along Erb Street?

(01-19-2017, 03:52 PM)KevinL Wrote: Great idea - use the 'countdown light' on the bottom to both count down the time remaining on the Walk AND on the Don't Walk.

This is how most of the pedestrian signals work in Japan -- it gives you an idea of how long it might be until green, so you can decide whether to wait or walk down the block to the next crossing.
I was thinking about this some more over the weekend. I would even be a bit happier if the bicycle signal changed every cycle (maybe just during the day?) but the button needed to be pushed for pedestrians to cross. Otherwise, I really don't even get why there are separate signals. I understand that the pedestrian crossing needs a longer duration because people walk more slowly than they bike.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »