Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Walking in Waterloo Region
That truck in that alley? I doubt it.
(03-16-2018, 11:31 AM)timc Wrote: That truck in that alley? I doubt it.

Why not?  It's a straight through alley, no sharp turns.  Turning into the alley would be slow, but the roads abutting it are wide, so that's not going to be an issue either.  There's no reason it couldn't fit.  It would obviously block traffic, but they're already blocking the alley.  This way they would *only* block the alley.
Eby Manor's driver doesn't have to use the alley, but why would he choose to pull up on the sidewalk and block that? Just stay in the road lane- it's being made impassable anyway- with the four-ways on. There are other lanes for traffic to use, which is not true of the sidewalk.
Alarm bells sounded about safety of Chicopee Hills school crosswalk

Quote:"The crossing guard had pushed the button, the lights were flashing and the group had started to cross," St. Laurent said Friday standing near the crosswalk that students take to get to the new public school.

"A van had driven through the crosswalk nearly hitting him. Very, very close. If the boy had maybe taken another step and the crossing guard hadn't been there, he probably would have been hit."

St. Laurent has written to the Region of Waterloo and the Waterloo Region District School Board because she said there have been too many near misses, and she's worried a student will be injured — or worse.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
I`ve noticed no issue with that crosswalk. I do notice on a daily basis at Fairway/Pebble Creek intersection, turning motorists proceeding while the crossing guard is still out with the stop sign. He yells at the cars daily, and things never seem to change....

Coke
Kitchener's recommended sidewalk infill projects for 2019:

Not surprisingly, one of the top reasons for opposition to new sidewalks continues to be: snow removal
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Given the huge opposition, I expect there will be opposition, again.

I think I remember discussing with staff at the time whether this would require them to come to council for approval for every sidewalk and suggesting this wasn't a good idea.
Ah, catching up on this thread, i now understand what caused the Region to tweet about pedestrian crossings.

https://twitter.com/RegionWaterloo/statu...32992?s=19
Pride-rainbow crosswalks were installed in two places today: in Kitchener, across Joseph street by the Victoria Park entrance; and in Waterloo, across Willis Way between Caroline and King. Kitchener had a brief ceremony today, Waterloo's will be tomorrow.
Willis way crossing:

Do Kitchener or Waterloo have rules/laws around keeping pedestrian accesses available during long-term construction projects? I encountered many long-term closures today (e.g. Caroline between Allen and John, Benton near the arrow lofts, Benton near the Barra project) that just seems ridiculous that there isn't more of a plan in place to keep the access open especially with so many projects about to start up.

This stretch along Park was much marginally better the last 6 months for snow removal and keeping the sidewalk clear of obstructions, but they are slipping again with trucks over-hanging the sidewalk and the fence forcing you in to traffic:

Tender for new sidewalks and MUT:

A seemingly-simple question to the Kitchener Reddit has launched a surprising discussion. https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...nd_people/
(06-13-2018, 04:59 PM)KevinL Wrote: A seemingly-simple question to the Kitchener Reddit has launched a surprising discussion. https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...nd_people/

Not sure if it's accurate, but I believe the answer is:

From: https://ontariotrafficman.wordpress.com/...ally-work/
Of course a lot of people don't realize the button is only for the sound and press it anyway in order to get a green light ...