Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Walking in Waterloo Region
What's maddening about it? They used active words (the car hit the pedestrian), neutral language (the pedestrian was crossing the road) and stuck to reporting the facts (police say the pedestrian was jay walking).
They said the pedestrian was jaywalking and might be charged, but as others have pointed out here, jaywalking is only illegal (and a thing) in Toronto. It doesn't exist anywhere else
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
CTV simply reported that the police said the pedestrian was jay walking and charges were pending. That seems like relevant information to report on. Be angry at the police if anything. CTV was reporting the facts in this case.
The pedestrian may still have acted recklessly in choosing to cross when/where they did; if their timing was poor for the traffic conditions it's still on them.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
The pedestrian was public intoxication and failure to use a crosswalk.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(01-30-2018, 10:45 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The pedestrian was public intoxication and failure to use a crosswalk.

I was wondering if that might not be the case.  How close do you have to be to a crosswalk in Kitchener to merit a charge of failure to use it?
(01-30-2018, 08:36 PM)Canard Wrote: They said the pedestrian was jaywalking and might be charged, but as others have pointed out here, jaywalking is only illegal (and a thing) in Toronto.  It doesn't exist anywhere else

"Jaywalking" is not well defined.  Crossing mid-block is legal. Crossing against a red light is not.
Yes, crossing mid-block is legal, so long as you adequately account for the safety of yourself and other road users. It now appears this individual was impaired by alcohol, which made them unable to adequately do so.

While this is better than not driving while intoxicated, it still has risks.
Residents fight against pedestrian link to Chandler-Mowat
(01-31-2018, 02:54 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Residents fight against pedestrian link to Chandler-Mowat

That's ugly.   Sad

Fortunately, the mayor seems to have given them short shrift.
That's actually pretty offensive. I'm not sure what the right word is for this. Elitism?
(01-31-2018, 05:07 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 02:54 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Residents fight against pedestrian link to Chandler-Mowat

That's ugly.   Sad

Fortunately, the mayor seems to have given them short shrift.

Unanimous vote at this point, too. One of the things I like about the Region is that some issues that I suspect might become big political fights in Toronto just sail through with large majorities or even unanimity at Council. Even the LRT, while it was a big discussion, ultimately sailed through Council with votes that were not at all close.

If I lived in that neighbourhood I would be happy to have the dramatically shortened access to the Laurentian Mall, in particular the Zehr’s, which goes from being a convenient drive to a short walk — just slightly more than my short walk to Valumart. McLennan Park also becomes much more convenient.
(01-31-2018, 05:39 PM)timc Wrote: That's actually pretty offensive. I'm not sure what the right word is for this. Elitism?

Yes, although given the neighbourhood it's apparently coming from "ironic elitism" might be more accurate.
I once lived on Avalon. For anyone there to consider Chandler significantly different from a class or crime-risk standpoint is a bit much.