Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Walking in Waterloo Region
"Miss pushing the button by a nano-second (which happens to me all the time) and legally you are supposed to wait for that cycle to finish, the opposite cycle to finish, and then proceed when your cycle finally shows walk +90 seconds later (although it is probably longer)."

This is my pet peeve at Guelph and Weber (among other intersections). It feels as though I often rush to push the button and just barely miss it, and then wait through the cycle. It seems to me the walk signal should be activated by default every time the light turns green for motorists, and should be activated for a longer cycle (long enough for someone who is not able-bodied to cross) when the demand button is pressed.

(07-18-2017, 01:23 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The one at Victoria and West is like that too. Miss pushing the button by a nano-second (which happens to me all the time) and legally you are supposed to wait for that cycle to finish, the opposite cycle to finish, and then proceed when your cycle finally shows walk +90 seconds later (although it is probably longer).

When I do miss pushing the button at that intersection I usually wait until all cars have making left or right turns are done and then only proceed if there is still time left to cross. By far the most dangerous part of my commute every day.

Lol, I gave up waiting long ago, I march straight across and flip the bird to anyone who dares complain.

Welcome to the "arrogant pedestrian endangering everyone's lives".  

If I'm ever hit, I'll no doubt be victim blamed, but that would have happened regardless.

< /super bitter>
(07-18-2017, 01:31 PM)MidTowner Wrote: "Miss pushing the button by a nano-second (which happens to me all the time) and legally you are supposed to wait for that cycle to finish, the opposite cycle to finish, and then proceed when your cycle finally shows walk +90 seconds later (although it is probably longer)."

This is my pet peeve at Guelph and Weber (among other intersections). It feels as though I often rush to push the button and just barely miss it, and then wait through the cycle. It seems to me the walk signal should be activated by default every time the light turns green for motorists, and should be activated for a longer cycle (long enough for someone who is not able-bodied to cross) when the demand button is pressed.

I second this. I fume every time it happens. Default should always have some allocated time time for pedestrian crossing. There's zero harm if they do it and tons of annoyance if they don't.
Looking at that Twitter thread it sounds like the situation at King & Willis is worse than I thought. @thedaleykate is reporting that not only does the walk sign only come on if the button is pushed... the traffic lights won't change *at all* unless there's a car coming down Willis Way. So if you're a pedestrian waiting to cross King St you need to wait until a car comes down Willis. And if you happen to miss pressing the button the first time, you then need to wait for the next car. And even then, the walk sign only comes on for the side of the street where the button was pressed.
(07-18-2017, 01:39 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Lol, I gave up waiting long ago, I march straight across and flip the bird to anyone who dares complain.

If I'm ever hit, I'll no doubt be victim blamed, but that would have happened regardless.

< /super bitter>

Somehow I have far less trouble with the drivers in Kitchener (and I walk a lot, too, 10+ km per day).  I find that most drivers are polite and considerate, and will stop to let pedestrians cross at trail crossings, for example, even if not legally required to.

Although yesterday evening someone didn't stop to let me cross Jubilee.  First time in a long while.

Am I not bitter enough?
(07-18-2017, 02:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-18-2017, 01:39 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Lol, I gave up waiting long ago, I march straight across and flip the bird to anyone who dares complain.

< /super bitter>

Somehow I have far less trouble with the drivers in Kitchener (and I walk a lot, too, 10+ km per day).  I find that most drivers are polite and considerate, and will stop to let pedestrians cross at trail crossings, for example, even if not legally required to.

Although yesterday evening someone didn't stop to let me cross Jubilee.  First time in a long while.

Am I not bitter enough?

I'm not saying that most drivers aren't polite enough, only a small number are obnoxious about it, and a slightly larger number are texting.

The problem is the entire system is setup for cars and only cars.

For example, drivers think by letting you in crossing a trail, they're helping, but now if a car passes them and hits you, you're at fault for walking against the right of way, so really they're just putting your life in danger and putting the liability on you.  They don't know they're doing this, but that's because the system is designed for cars.
My problem with a walk signal not changing is more likely be my not crossing, and a turning motorist not understanding and trying to wave me through, than my crossing, and a turning motorist yelling at me for crossing against the light.

Then again, I don't cross against the light.

The point, though, is that if the thing would just give the 'Walk' signal, we'd all know what was what, nobody would be tempted to cross against a light that's red (when it ought not to be), and it will generally work out a lot better.

(07-18-2017, 02:36 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The problem is the entire system is setup for cars and only cars.

Then work to change the system.  Vote for someone who will change things, whether local, provincial or federal.  Or if there is no one who will, run for office and make things happen.

Simply being bitter will just maintain bitterness.  But we do live in a democracy, and it is possible to change things.
(07-18-2017, 03:26 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-18-2017, 02:36 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The problem is the entire system is setup for cars and only cars.

Then work to change the system.  Vote for someone who will change things, whether local, provincial or federal.  Or if there is no one who will, run for office and make things happen.

Simply being bitter will just maintain bitterness.  But we do live in a democracy, and it is possible to change things.

I am doing all those things, but these things do not change overnight.  I reserve the right to continue to be bitter on occasion until such time as they do change.
(07-18-2017, 03:26 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Then work to change the system.  Vote for someone who will change things, whether local, provincial or federal.  Or if there is no one who will, run for office and make things happen.

Dan currently sits on the Kitchener Cycling Advisory Committee, so you can be damn sure that he's doing more than his fair share of trying to change the system for the better.
Wish there was such an advocacy group for issues facing pedestrians. I would be only too happy to dedicate my time.
(07-18-2017, 07:56 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Wish there was such an advocacy group for issues facing pedestrians. I would be only too happy to dedicate my time.

It's not exactly an advocacy group, it's a government committee.  The region and the city of waterloo both have an active transportation committee which have somewhat broader topics including walking.  The City of Kitchener does not object to discussing walking in context of trails.  And of course, there is always TriTAG.
I would agree with Elmira Guy that an advisory group for walking would be called for. I was on a committee in another municipality called the Active Transportation Advisory Committee, and I found that it was mostly about bicycling. No one had any problem when a walking issue was added to the agenda, but the priority and interest was usually bicycling.

You live in Kitchener, right, Elmira Guy? Maybe call your councillor and volunteer to help set one up.

(07-19-2017, 07:14 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I would agree with Elmira Guy that an advisory group for walking would be called for. I was on a committee in another municipality called the Active Transportation Advisory Committee, and I found that it was mostly about bicycling. No one had any problem when a walking issue was added to the agenda, but the priority and interest was usually bicycling.

You live in Kitchener, right, Elmira Guy? Maybe call your councillor and volunteer to help set one up.

While cycling does come up often in the ATAC Waterloo Committe, I also know that walking is not ignored.  That committee has for example discussed the traffic signal issue, as well as sidewalk infill on a number of occasions.
(07-19-2017, 07:14 AM)MidTowner Wrote: You live in Kitchener, right, Elmira Guy? Maybe call your councillor and volunteer to help set one up.

Actually I live in Waterloo, Lincoln Heights area.

Your idea is a good one, though I have no idea what's involved in setting up such a group.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »