Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parking in Waterloo Region
(04-30-2018, 07:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Not that it would solve the "problem", but how is it possible that they haven't yet obliged Market vendors and employees to park elsewhere?  Seems like a no-brainer.

Also, pricing the market parking higher than the Market Square and Charles/Benton garages would help balance the demand.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1391093

Looks like the suggestion to not have vendors park in the garage is actually going to happen!
If they are going to give away free parking why wouldn't they charge the $2 rate at the market and make the Benton garage free on Saturday?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(05-10-2018, 09:08 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: If they are going to give away free parking why wouldn't they charge the $2 rate at the market and make the Benton garage free on Saturday?

I'll second this!
Someone has decided to share their opinions on this quite directly, at the market.

[Image: 3aa1.jpg]
How unfortunately unintelligible.
So here's a question: we had company over to our house in waterloo today, and our driveway only accommodates 3 cars. A fourth car, we told them they could just park on the lawn. An hour later, that person had a $75(!!) ticket for parking on the lawn. I had absolutely no idea that was illegal, and have done it MANY times before. For what possible reason is that illegal? What is the expectation for people to do? On street parking isn't available, nor are any nearby public parking lots. Why can the cops tell me where I am and am not allowed to out thing on my property? Should they also be able to tell me where I'm allowed to put a couch inside my house?

This is utterly ridiculous and has me pissed off, and I'm not even the one who got the ticket. Who is being helped by this law?

(06-09-2018, 05:00 PM)GtwoK Wrote: So here's a question: we had company over to our house in waterloo today, and our driveway only accommodates 3 cars. A fourth car, we told them they could just park on the lawn. An hour later, that person had a $75(!!) ticket for parking on the lawn. I had absolutely no idea that was illegal, and have done it MANY times before. For what possible reason is that illegal? What is the expectation for people to do? On street parking isn't available, nor are any nearby public parking lots. Why can the cops tell me where I am and am not allowed to out thing on my property? Should they also be able to tell me where I'm allowed to put a couch inside my house?

This is utterly ridiculous and has me pissed off, and I'm not even the one who got the ticket. Who is being helped by this law?

It wouldn't be the cops. A neighbour likely complained and City of Waterloo by-law came out and ticketed your guest. Sucks, so in the future, contact by-law and let them know a friend is parking on your grass.
My guess is it's to keep things looking "nice" and so people don't just put cars on their lawn and have them up on blocks working on them (or leaving them to rot).

You can also get a ticket for not cutting your grass or other aesthetic things. I have mixed feelings on it.
(06-09-2018, 05:40 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-09-2018, 05:00 PM)GtwoK Wrote: So here's a question: we had company over to our house in waterloo today, and our driveway only accommodates 3 cars. A fourth car, we told them they could just park on the lawn. An hour later, that person had a $75(!!) ticket for parking on the lawn. I had absolutely no idea that was illegal, and have done it MANY times before. For what possible reason is that illegal? What is the expectation for people to do? On street parking isn't available, nor are any nearby public parking lots. Why can the cops tell me where I am and am not allowed to out thing on my property? Should they also be able to tell me where I'm allowed to put a couch inside my house?

It wouldn't be the cops. A neighbour likely complained and City of Waterloo by-law came out and ticketed your guest. Sucks, so in the future, contact by-law and let them know a friend is parking on your grass.

I don't think that flagging your by-law violation to city staff is an effective way of avoiding a fine...

Waterloo has a by-law that prohibits parking on front lawns, except for a small number of specifically exempted properties.  It is considered a "public nuisance".

https://www.waterloo.ca/en/contentresour..._bylaw.pdf
(06-09-2018, 05:40 PM)jeffster Wrote:

Contacting bylaw won't help, the fact is, parking on your grass is against the city of Waterloo bylaw.  If you don't like it, lobby to have it changed, but there are reasons not to allow it, houses with many cars parked all over the property are unsightly and lower neighbouring property values.  You can argue your case is special, which then you have to define bylaws which allow the good cases, and not the bad ones--easier said than done.
I mean, really, it should be cars cannot be parked on the lawn for longer than 48 hours or something of the sort. Having a pile of wrecked cars on your lot is a nuisance, have guests over for for 2 hours is not.
GtwoK, you can apparently park an LRV in your front lawn, though.

(06-09-2018, 09:07 PM)Canard Wrote: GtwoK, you can apparently park an LRV in your front lawn, though.

Ah...that explains the streetcar on highway 6 between Guelph and Hamilton! No by-law infraction!
My guess is the line was specifically added for that property. Smile

(or, people with garden railways!)

(fun story: a long while ago I actually emailed the City of Kitchener asking if they'd approve 600 mm wide "garden path" with raised edges in a loop configuration not attached to an existing deck or patio with the intent that I would build my own backyard AGT. Tongue )
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »