Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parking in Waterloo Region
(03-30-2018, 10:04 AM)plam Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 07:06 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: The Market square garage is free on saturdays and most nearby lots are $2.25 per hour.
http://www.kitchenermarket.ca/en/resourc..._PROOF.pdf

While very reasonable that is still more than you pay going Sobey's or Zehrs though which probably what they are concerned about.

Market Square used to be free. No longer, at least when I tried last time.

When did you try last?  It was free when I was there only 2 months ago.

I will note, it's not free *all* the time, but it was free on the market day.

Just so we are clear I am speaking about the Market Square lot bordered by Scott and Duke, not the Market Square lot accessible off of King.

Interesting, the PDF says the Duke/Scott Market Square lot is free on Saturdays, but the Kitchener Market page lists it at $4/hr.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(03-30-2018, 10:50 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Just so we are clear I am speaking about the Market Square lot bordered by Scott and Duke, not the Market Square lot accessible off of King.

Interesting, the PDF says the Duke/Scott Market Square lot is free on Saturdays, but the Kitchener Market page lists it at $4/hr.

Yeah. I looked through past credit card statements but can't find it. But yes, I am talking about the weird Scott/Duke ramp. $4/hr sounds about right.
(03-30-2018, 09:44 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: It is amazing people will walk 60m across a Zehr's parking lot, but somehow perceive 150m from the Duke and Scott lot down market lane to the market as some insurmountable barrier.

Same as when they go to Canada's Wonderland, pay for premium parking to park 100 m closer to the gate, and spend the day walking 5 km around the park anyway.
(03-30-2018, 07:06 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: The Market square garage is free on saturdays and most nearby lots are $2.25 per hour.
http://www.kitchenermarket.ca/en/resourc..._PROOF.pdf

While very reasonable that is still more than you pay going Sobey's or Zehrs though which probably what they are concerned about.

That's what they're concerned about, but it's wrong. The market can't really compete with Zehr's or Sobey's on price, and shouldn't try. It should be- it is, for most people going- a destination, and having to pay a few bucks to park at an in-demand destination should be nothing strange for people.
I think once the rapid transit station opens a 100m walk away, they will have no excuse not to charge.
(03-30-2018, 10:50 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Just so we are clear I am speaking about the Market Square lot bordered by Scott and Duke, not the Market Square lot accessible off of King.

They're the same lot - the entrance off King St leads to a garage, but there's an interior garage door into the other portion. They share the same exit.

We ended up parking there for a recent trip to the market had to pay.

Have you considered that there may be other technical or logistical reasons why they do not charge?

How will you do this? Install barriers and pay machines? Throughput goes way down. Queues will be massive, worse than now.

Pay-and-Display? Maybe... but you need enforcement.
(03-30-2018, 05:11 PM)Canard Wrote: Have you considered that there may be other technical or logistical reasons why they do not charge?

How will you do this?  Install barriers and pay machines?  Throughput goes way down.  Queues will be massive, worse than now.

Pay-and-Display?  Maybe... but you need enforcement.

But they do charge! It's a ticket upon entry which you pay upon exit.
Huh? I thought we just said that the Kitchener Market had free parking? And that is what people are all up in arms over?
(03-30-2018, 05:32 PM)Canard Wrote: Huh?  I thought we just said that the Kitchener Market had free parking?  And that is what people are all up in arms over?

Underneath the market there is some free parking (but, of course, not enough). The streets around the market are kind of hopelessly busy at 10:30 for instance. A few streets away at Duke and Scott there is some parking which used to be free, but which is no longer free. Across the street from the market you can park at the racquet club for $3, but it of course gets full too.
(03-30-2018, 01:08 PM)KevinL Wrote: I think once the rapid transit station opens a 100m walk away, they will have no excuse not to charge.

In principle, excellent rapid transit could reduce demand for parking and therefore make it more likely that no charge is the appropriate price.

Except that if free is the right price, then replacing the lot with something more profitable should be considered.
(03-30-2018, 06:33 PM)plam Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 05:32 PM)Canard Wrote: Huh?  I thought we just said that the Kitchener Market had free parking?  And that is what people are all up in arms over?

Underneath the market there is some free parking (but, of course, not enough). The streets around the market are kind of hopelessly busy at 10:30 for instance. A few streets away at Duke and Scott there is some parking which used to be free, but which is no longer free. Across the street from the market you can park at the racquet club for $3, but it of course gets full too.

Duke and Scott? The Market Square parking garage? That might have been free while the Market was renting space in the building, but now that's very much not the case any more.

(03-30-2018, 06:33 PM)plam Wrote:

It's free for vendors, for now. Not free for customers (on Saturdays). Details here:
https://app2.kitchener.ca/parking/parkin...?tid=12248

Quote:Hours of Operation:
6:00 am - 10:00 pm Monday - Saturday
Monthly customer - 24 hours access
Hourly Rate: 0 - 2 hrs $3.20, $1.65 per 1/2 hr thereafter
Sunday - Free Parking
Daily Maximum: $14.50
Wait, so...

they charge for parking under the market?

...so what's the issue? Huh
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »