Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parking in Waterloo Region
(03-29-2017, 02:27 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I remember multiple times receiving complaints about cars "parked in my parking space".  I would think that its in a condo or something, but would arrive at a residential street with a car parked in front of their house.  We would have to chalk it for the 3 hr by-law, but the resident's thought process of it being "their spot" is what makes this dangerous.  When someone thinks the roadway in front of their house belongs to them, the fridge argument makes sense....

Coke

Hell, if I can store personal property in the parking space in front of my house, I'm definitely going to make use of this.  I have several bike racks.

I don't really get how that was dangerous... Just because someone complains about something doesn't mean they're right or are going to get their way. Coke, you even say that you didn't ticket or tow the car but instead just enforced the existing by-law. If residents want to go batshit-crazy enforcing the letter of the law on each other - I guess that's up to them.

But the answer to some people thinking they're entitled to something they're not isn't to start making arguments about other things you think you should be entitled to but aren't.
By the way Dan, I'd be completely on board with people advocating for more bike racks in local neighborhoods (if they were being used). Even at the expense of some parking. Because to me, that's a good societal use of public space.
(03-29-2017, 03:30 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: I don't really get how that was dangerous...  Just because someone complains about something doesn't mean they're right or are going to get their way.  Coke, you even say that you didn't ticket or tow the car but instead just enforced the existing by-law.  If residents want to go batshit-crazy enforcing the letter of the law on each other - I guess that's up to them.

But the answer to some people thinking they're entitled to something they're not isn't to start making arguments about other things you think you should be entitled to but aren't.

The mindset is whats dangerous.  Even Dan stated in his post 2 up "Hell, if I can store personal property in the parking space in front of my house".  We have lost sight of the fact it is a road in front of your house, not a parking space.

Coke
(03-29-2017, 03:31 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: By the way Dan, I'd be completely on board with people advocating for more bike racks in local neighborhoods (if they were being used).  Even at the expense of some parking.  Because to me, that's a good societal use of public space.

Bike racks implied that they were open to anyone to use, okay, let me rephrase, I'm going to put a locked shed in the parking space in front of my house.  If I'm allowed to monopolize that space for my personal use, the difference between a car and a shed is pretty minimal if I never move the car.
(03-29-2017, 04:02 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 03:31 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: By the way Dan, I'd be completely on board with people advocating for more bike racks in local neighborhoods (if they were being used).  Even at the expense of some parking.  Because to me, that's a good societal use of public space.

Bike racks implied that they were open to anyone to use, okay, let me rephrase, I'm going to put a locked shed in the parking space in front of my house.  If I'm allowed to monopolize that space for my personal use, the difference between a car and a shed is pretty minimal if I never move the car.

Not many people have a car that never moves...  although, I'm sure a few exist.  And of course, never moving your car isn't permitted.  So, hopefully now you'll be happy that your shed is exactly as allowed as parking the car and never moving it!
I definitely feel that pressure though. If I go to visit someone in a car, and their driveway and in front of their yard is full, I feel awkward parking in front of someone else's house. I shouldn't, but I do.

(03-29-2017, 05:26 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I definitely feel that pressure though. If I go to visit someone in a car, and their driveway and in front of their yard is full, I feel awkward parking in front of someone else's house. I shouldn't, but I do.

Really?  I've never felt that way.  Maybe it depends on where you grew up/have lived.
(03-29-2017, 05:26 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I definitely feel that pressure though. If I go to visit someone in a car, and their driveway and in front of their yard is full, I feel awkward parking in front of someone else's house. I shouldn't, but I do.

It only bugs me if they park there when I'm obviously halfway done mowing the lawn and still need to do the boulevard, or the girl that would routinely park there to eat her lunch in the car, chainsmoke some cigs and (apparently) dump out the ashtray when it got full.  Haven't seen her park there in a while and coincidentally haven't seen any cigarette butts since.
(03-29-2017, 07:06 PM)embe Wrote:

It only bugs me if they park there when I'm obviously halfway done mowing the lawn and still need to do the boulevard, or the girl that would routinely park there to eat her lunch in the car, chainsmoke some cigs and (apparently) dump out the ashtray when it got full.  Haven't seen her park there in a while and coincidentally haven't seen any cigarette butts since.

Well littering is never cool. Tongue
(03-29-2017, 07:06 PM)embe Wrote:

Garden hose - I've been so tempted sometimes.......
(03-29-2017, 05:50 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:

Really?  I've never felt that way.  Maybe it depends on where you grew up/have lived.

Me neither.  As long as I don't block a driveway, I don't feel like I'm infringing on anyone's private territory.
http://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Coun...17#page=38

"Regional staff recently installed signs restricting parking along Benton Street (Regional Road 6) between Courtland Avenue (Regional Road 53) and St. George Street which have caused concerns for nearby area residents. In light of these concerns raised, Regional staff have informed area municipal enforcement staff to refrain from issuing tickets and have “bagged” the recently installed signs until further notice. Regional staff plans to undertake a detailed review of parking along Benton Street and will provide a recommendation to Regional Council in the Summer or Fall of 2017."
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I know we discussed it recently, but why parking should be prohibited on the "east" side of Benton between Courtland and St George remains a mystery to me. The outer lane on that side of the street is not needed for traffic, so I just can't see the problem.
(04-22-2017, 09:19 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: http://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Coun...ommittee/P&W%20Agenda%20-%20April%2025,%202017#page=38

"Regional staff recently installed signs restricting parking along Benton Street (Regional Road 6) between Courtland Avenue (Regional Road 53) and St. George Street which have caused concerns for nearby area residents. In light of these concerns raised, Regional staff have informed area municipal enforcement staff to refrain from issuing tickets and have “bagged” the recently installed signs until further notice. Regional staff plans to undertake a detailed review of parking along Benton Street and will provide a recommendation to Regional Council in the Summer or Fall of 2017."

They sent mail to (all, I presume) residents of the area informing people of the April 25th meeting and offering the option to attend as a delegation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »