Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parking in Waterloo Region
(11-22-2014, 11:38 AM)Canard Wrote: Can you show some examples of the lightweight, steel structures?  I don't think I've ever seen those.  Is this what you are referring to?

Yes, that's the prevailing choice presently in Europe. Here's an example from the UK:

[Image: MSCP_2.jpg]

[Image: Flughafen-Duesseldorf-Mietwagenzentrum.jpg]

Dusseldorf airport parking
Yes!  I recognized that as Dusseldorf immediately; that's the slender Siemens H-Bahn (Monorail) guideway on the right! The parking is visible quite clearly here.
Are there any Ontario examples? That seems like a cost difference that's difficult (but not impossible) to ignore without a good reason.
The only Ontario example that I can think of is the Hanson Memorial Garage in downtown Kingston.  It is a bit of a mess, although I think there might be some renovations going on.  I wonder how a steel structure would hold up to winter salt?

[Image: 30ix9p0.jpg]
(11-22-2014, 03:53 PM)mpd618 Wrote: Are there any Ontario examples? That seems like a cost difference that's difficult (but not impossible) to ignore without a good reason.

There are. Here's an example from the University of Windsor:

[Image: project_images-s3-amazonaws-com--1389033...70x450.JPG]

Also do not underestimate the inertia of historical regulations. Steel park structures were, until rather recently, banned in France while being the preferred choice elsewhere in the EU.

p.s. additionally our preferred choice which is concrete has significantly underperformed specs and companies are making a fortune retrofitting old car park structures.
(11-22-2014, 04:23 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: There are. Here's an example from the University of Windsor:

Looks like that was 1055 parking spaces in a $26m project that also included a two-storey building. Assuming it didn't go over budget, and that $15-20m of that was for the garage, that's $14-19K per spot.

Cost was $14.8m or $14K per spot/
$14,000/spot, divided by 20 years, is $700/spot/year. $700/spot/year, over 365.25 days in an average year, is $1.92/spot/day. Not sure if the borrowing or land costs are in that figure.
$14K per spot is a bit on the high side, most likely because it is 7 stories high. $8-10K per spot would be much closer to the actual cost, not including land.
(11-21-2014, 11:35 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Yes, that is something I never understood. In North America we tend to build expensive concrete parkades and then we complain bitterly about their cost. In Europe they build some rather nice steel parking structures that are so cheap they get built without a moment's thought. Is there any real reason why Kitchener prefers the more expensive option?

The Elliot Lake Mall would be a good example of steel failing in our environment. I realize there was also a maintenance issue there and a lot of other things at play, but we do introduce salt by the truckload to our cities. Warmer climates don't do that.
How much damage would come from direct application as opposed to stray grains? If the garages are salted, surely an under-surface heating system could take care of that.
I've been surprised at how quickly the Economical Insurance parking garage on Riverbend has gone up. Is it being constructed of pre-cast concrete sections?

Article about a private lot in Downtown: http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5177...ass-rates/
That is ridiculous and the lot should be boycotted. There is no excuse for that.

It would be cheaper to park there all day, not pay the lot, and instead pay for the parking ticket!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »