Some point about your community
Much More.. or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parking in Waterloo Region
(04-30-2018, 12:40 PM)jamincan Wrote: You have to wonder what solutions exist, because people are going to continue to behave the same way until we develop some sort of system to change the behaviour. Perhaps parking facilities could update their capacity in real-time so that people would no in advance that a particular garage is full and go to a further one with available parking first. That sort of data could then potentially be incorporated into mapping software so that you would be directed to the nearest available parking instead of the actual location.

This kind of technology is in wide use in cities all over Europe. And has been for years.
(04-30-2018, 12:40 PM)jamincan Wrote: You have to wonder what solutions exist, because people are going to continue to behave the same way until we develop some sort of system to change the behaviour. Perhaps parking facilities could update their capacity in real-time so that people would no in advance that a particular garage is full and go to a further one with available parking first. That sort of data could then potentially be incorporated into mapping software so that you would be directed to the nearest available parking instead of the actual location.

The solution is simply pricing.  If the market parking lot was priced at market (ha) prices, then it would have space, and wealthy people (or people who prioritize less walking more than others) could park closer, poorer people (or people willing to walk more) would park farther away (or walk/bike/bus).  Unfair?  Yes.  But this is the capitalist system we live in.

To be honest though, the strange thing about the market is people fight over spaces right next to it, but reuse to walk 2-3 blocks which is around the same distance you would end up walking to get to a store in Conestoga Mall.  Yet these same people say:  "I go to the mall instead because I refuse to walk that far or pay for the privilege of parking closer".

I just don't get it.
(04-30-2018, 12:53 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: To be honest though, the strange thing about the market is people fight over spaces right next to it, but reuse to walk 2-3 blocks which is around the same distance you would end up walking to get to a store in Conestoga Mall.  Yet these same people say:  "I go to the mall instead because I refuse to walk that far or pay for the privilege of parking closer".

Quite true. And the same is true of the Waterloo/St Jacobs market -- it's easily a one-two-block hike from your parking space unless you get there early.
Ironic given several people said they go to St Jacobs instead because parking.
Not that it would solve the "problem", but how is it possible that they haven't yet obliged Market vendors and employees to park elsewhere? Seems like a no-brainer.
(04-30-2018, 06:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Not that it would solve the "problem", but how is it possible that they haven't yet obliged Market vendors and employees to park elsewhere?  Seems like a no-brainer.

Also, pricing the market parking higher than the Market Square and Charles/Benton garages would help balance the demand.
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1391093

Looks like the suggestion to not have vendors park in the garage is actually going to happen!
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
If they are going to give away free parking why wouldn't they charge the $2 rate at the market and make the Benton garage free on Saturday?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(05-10-2018, 08:08 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: If they are going to give away free parking why wouldn't they charge the $2 rate at the market and make the Benton garage free on Saturday?

I'll second this!
Someone has decided to share their opinions on this quite directly, at the market.

[Image: 3aa1.jpg]
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
How unfortunately unintelligible.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain