Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parking in Waterloo Region
(03-18-2017, 03:31 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I feel like planet Earth has a lot of people that think their personal opinions on what's good or bad are facts instead of just opinions.
Hah, too true.

(03-18-2017, 04:14 PM)Chicopee Wrote:
(03-18-2017, 04:03 PM)darts Wrote: I didn't think they could park overnight though

I believe that the restriction (at least in Kitchener) is November 30 to March 30 or something like that. That's when you see cars parked sideways on boulevards and lawns. For the rest of the year, most residential streets become parking lots.

The date is Dec 1 - Mar 31.

FUN FACT: The Kitchener by-law is the same as Waterloo (Year Round), but the agreement was that it would only be enforced in the winter, but ZERO exemptions.  [Snow clearing was the main reason for the reason for enforcement, as street sweeping wasn't typically done overnight outside of the core].   

Coke
(03-20-2017, 02:33 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: The date is Dec 1 - Mar 31.

Hrm:

That sign must be a localized exception. It doesn't normally need to be signposted as it's citywide policy.
That sign is a forgery perhaps? The lettering is never of that style on any No Parking signs. But that's just what you'd do if you wanted to have 9 months of free parking.
LOL! No. There are 5 more the same.
The "r" and the "a" are of a stencil type. I don't know if signs used to be made by this design, but current signs do not have the rounded style of the "r" nor the cutout white slit at the top of the "a" because we can print without that kind of outline. There may be 5, but it is not a modern sign, it is either very old or part of a series of forgeries.

Okay. I'm gonnna guess it's the former.
Those same signs are in use for the "hospital parking" along Mount Hope Street between King and Park.
(03-20-2017, 07:22 PM)Canard Wrote:
(03-20-2017, 02:33 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: The date is Dec 1 - Mar 31.

Hrm:

Yes, that is a local NPA.  I was referring to the larger overnight by-law, my mistake.

As for those signs, I'm going to assume they are an old stock (based on the way the sign has been beaten up over the years)

Coke
What is "boulevard parking"? That sounds so fancy.
(03-22-2017, 01:58 PM)Canard Wrote: What is "boulevard parking"? That sounds so fancy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's this sort of thing.
I think the reason why is that lot sizes were made smaller, reducing the amount of parking available, and residents pushed council to do something about it. It begs the question of why you would buy the house in the first place if it didn't have enough parking to meet your needs.

There was a fun example a few years back where in Cambridge, a family came before council because they had acquired 5 or 6 cars, did not want to put them in their garage, but objected to being ticketed for always having 3-4 cars out on city streets.
I think that using the garage of your suburban home to store your car(s) is just a quaint memory. Especially in newer developments, the purpose of garages is very clearly to store "stuff". For some reason, people seem strangely attached to large volumes of "stuff" that they don't actually use.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »