Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
(01-21-2019, 05:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 10:19 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote: That's discouraging. I registered on Friday to speak as well. I echo Dan's point that if you can't make it tonight, please email your councillor and the mayor to share your thoughts on the proposed budget.

What's Debbie Chapman's view on this? Is she supportive?

I haven't spoken to her recently on this specifically but my sense is she is pro active transportation and would support all of these budget items. She could surprise me, but I'm guessing she's supportive.

(01-21-2019, 05:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 10:19 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote: That's discouraging. I registered on Friday to speak as well. I echo Dan's point that if you can't make it tonight, please email your councillor and the mayor to share your thoughts on the proposed budget.

What's Debbie Chapman's view on this? Is she supportive?

I am speaking on second hand knowledge here, but she has been supportive of cycling infra, and signed the pledge.

I have heard she is concerned with the plans for Belmont Ave, which are unfortunate, because Belmont is an unreasonably over built road dating from failed 1960s transportation plans, which separates the neighbourhoods it goes through.  Narrowing it would be beneficial without putting bike lanes in...her concern is that it parallels the IHT for a short bit, which is a poor argument because a) that section of the IHT will see construction next year and thus having a bypass is perhaps, a good thing, and b) it diverges from the IHT and makes an important connection between Queen St and uptown/downtown/belmont village.
Any updates from tonights meeting?
Smile 
(01-21-2019, 10:10 PM)Spokes Wrote: Any updates from tonights meeting?

It was a good turnout I thought (maybe 60 or so?) I believe there were 13 delegations, with the majority speaking to active transportation in some manner. Councillor Davey opened the meeting by asking the people there in support of active transportation to wave, and almost the whole audience waved [Image: smile.gif]Delegations were positive and between everyone who spoke, really covered a wide range of issues related to safe streets.  Councillor Davey thanked everyone for attending and commented that this was his 8th year of budget input meetings and this was the most supportive, positive one with constructive and helpful feedback.
I couldn't make it, unfortunately, but did write to my councillor (Davey) and Mayor Vrbanovic beforehand indicating my support and my desire to be there. He responded very quickly saying he had heard a lot of support from people for the measures, though not indicating one way or another how he would vote.

What was the result of the vote? Deferred, yea, nay?
They didn't vote on the budget tonight, seems like Jan 31st is the day for voting. I have no idea why they break it up this way--leaves us all in suspense.
(01-22-2019, 07:57 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 10:10 PM)Spokes Wrote: Any updates from tonights meeting?

It was a good turnout I thought (maybe 60 or so?) I believe there were 13 delegations, with the majority speaking to active transportation in some manner. Councillor Davey opened the meeting by asking the people there in support of active transportation to wave, and almost the whole audience waved [Image: smile.gif]Delegations were positive and between everyone who spoke, really covered a wide range of issues related to safe streets.  Councillor Davey thanked everyone for attending and commented that this was his 8th year of budget input meetings and this was the most supportive, positive one with constructive and helpful feedback.

That is fantastic!  So encouraging.  And his actions I think go a long way to encourage people to continue to be active in municipal politics and decision making.

And thanks for the update!

(01-22-2019, 09:03 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: They didn't vote on the budget tonight, seems like Jan 31st is the day for voting. I have no idea why they break it up this way--leaves us all in suspense.

Just purely information gathering and debate?
(01-22-2019, 09:31 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 09:03 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: They didn't vote on the budget tonight, seems like Jan 31st is the day for voting. I have no idea why they break it up this way--leaves us all in suspense.

Just purely information gathering and debate?

Yup, they called it a public input session more or less.

There was also press there: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/913...structure/
Two quotes stand out from that article:

Quote:A number of councillors questioned the need to invest in cycling at a budget meeting a week earlier. Some wondered why the city should spend on cycling infrastructure when the update to its cycling master plan won't be done until the end of the year. Others said investments in trails around schools were a higher priority than cycling infrastructure.

I'd like to know who?

Quote:Views on the need for better cycling varied widely, from those who said, "Improvements in cycling and active transport facilities are greatly needed," to others who said, "Too much money invested is services we don't want and or need. No bike lanes are needed."

Shaking my head.  Should we go back to dirt roads?
Waterloo Region seeks suggestions from public for bike-share station sites

Quote:Bike-share stations will pop up around the community this spring, and Waterloo Region residents are being asked to suggest where they should go.

"We figure they know where will work best for them," said Julie Bélanger, principal planner in transportation demand management for the region.

The region, along with the cities of Cambridge, Kitchener and Waterloo, are collaborating on the pilot project with Toronto-based Drop Mobility.

Public feedback and staff recommendations will guide the selection of the initial locations. The plan calls for increasing the number of stations over the course of the pilot, which starts in the spring and runs to the fall.
(01-22-2019, 10:44 AM)Spokes Wrote: Shaking my head.  Should we go back to dirt roads?

Careful. I think there are a few on here would far prefer riding on gravel roads than MUT's! Tongue

(I am not one of them!)
(01-22-2019, 06:04 PM)Canard Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 10:44 AM)Spokes Wrote: Shaking my head.  Should we go back to dirt roads?

Careful.  I think there are a few on here would far prefer riding on gravel roads than MUT's! Tongue

(I am not one of them!)

Hey, what's wrong with gravel?  Big Grin

I like riding gravel roads but they're only nice because they're low-traffic. That's not true, they tend to be hillier and more scenic too.
More scenic and quieter. I love gravel riding. Have you ridden much out in Dufferin County, clasher? There are some fantastic back roads there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »