Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
Apparently the region is spending $90,000 to study the potential for bike sharing in the community.

Bid document says that study is needed even with Lime Scooter pilot launch in 2018 and DropBike launch in spring 2019.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(11-22-2018, 10:22 PM)plam Wrote: Hey, it's a City of Waterloo survey about the streetscape improvements! Deadline Nov 30.

https://www.waterloo.ca/en/living/uptown...vement.asp

I let them know what I think...

I did too. I'd encourage everyone to take a few minutes to do the same
Done!
Today's haul on King St's "separated" bike lanes: one car parked at King and Dupont and one at King and Princess, both beyond the end of the parking spots and plumb in the middle of the lanes (almost on top of the bike symbol). The one at King and Dupont is probably in the handicapped spot.

Bonus: Uber stopped in the bike lane on the west side to drop off passengers.
(11-23-2018, 08:35 PM)plam Wrote: Today's haul on King St's "separated" bike lanes: one car parked at King and Dupont and one at King and Princess, both beyond the end of the parking spots and plumb in the middle of the lanes (almost on top of the bike symbol). The one at King and Dupont is probably in the handicapped spot.

Bonus: Uber stopped in the bike lane on the west side to drop off passengers.

Pretty well par for the course.

Ironic, given that City of Waterloo bylaw claimed they had written only 12 tickets 2 months ago, despite "patrolling" on a regular basis (they said 130 patrols in the month).

Either they're being EXTREMELY generous about what they ticket, or they're patrolling at 4 AM--or more likely both, I've been told explicitly, they will not ticket taxis or rideshares in the lane, because apparently although illegal, it's a HTA violation which they can't ticket, and thus, when told that enforcement would solve the problem, we/maybe council were straight up lied too.

Of course, the Region is even more obstinate about the design, continuing to argue that it's fine.  They are however completing a study, which I will promote here again:

https://surveys.regionofwaterloo.ca/?e=1...1AE87&l=en

It's worth filling out carefully, the questions are rather...biased...to achieve the result of "the lane is fine".

The report will be presented at ATAC in January, where I have a (twice deferred on weak excuses) motion to ask Regional Council to consider a more protected design for Phase 2.  I find it unlikely staff will support this request, so it's likely going to be a case where council would have to overrule staff for anything to change.
(11-23-2018, 09:06 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Of course, the Region is even more obstinate about the design, continuing to argue that it's fine.  They are however completing a study, which I will promote here again:

https://surveys.regionofwaterloo.ca/?e=138552&h=DF587D3F1E1AE87&l=en

It's worth filling out carefully, the questions are rather...biased...to achieve the result of "the lane is fine".

The report will be presented at ATAC in January, where I have a (twice deferred on weak excuses) motion to ask Regional Council to consider a more protected design for Phase 2.  I find it unlikely staff will support this request, so it's likely going to be a case where council would have to overrule staff for anything to change.

The city's survey is also asking whether the uptown lane separation is sufficient:
If the city really cared about enforcing this, they'd pass a bylaw stating that fines for parking violations in bike lanes are tripled.

You could easily do this for parking on LRT tracks too.

(11-23-2018, 09:36 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 09:06 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Of course, the Region is even more obstinate about the design, continuing to argue that it's fine.  They are however completing a study, which I will promote here again:

https://surveys.regionofwaterloo.ca/?e=1...1AE87&l=en

The city's survey is also asking whether the uptown lane separation is sufficient:

I only see a link from the city's page to the region's survey.  Is there another survey that I'm missing?
I just filled out the Region’s survey. In addition to disapproving strongly of the segregation of the bicycle lanes, I wrote the following comment in the comment box:

Quote:We were promised “segregated” bike lanes and did not get them. “Segregated” means that motor vehicles would have to go out of their way to deliberately infringe on the lanes; a roll curb does not provide “segregation”. Please stop pretending the roll curbs are sufficient; they are not.
(11-24-2018, 08:30 AM)Spokes Wrote: If the city really cared about enforcing this, they'd pass a bylaw stating that fines for parking violations in bike lanes are tripled.

What is the fine for parking on the LRT tracks?  Is anyone still doing it with test runs as common as they have become?
(11-24-2018, 10:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-24-2018, 08:30 AM)Spokes Wrote: If the city really cared about enforcing this, they'd pass a bylaw stating that fines for parking violations in bike lanes are tripled.

What is the fine for parking on the LRT tracks?  Is anyone still doing it test runs as common as they have become?

So last night on my bike ride I saw about 10 bikes out, was much nicer to see that than the cars in the bike lane. Would be good to have higher fines.

Also there was a truck that was parked on Borden that sure looked like it was in the LRT track. (It was off to the side but not quite enough.)
I was on Columbia Street last night, between Fischer-Hallman and Erbsville, and I noted that we are still not clearing the protected bike lanes of snow this winter. Am I wrong in understanding that they should be plowed?
(11-24-2018, 10:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote:

What is the fine for parking on the LRT tracks?  Is anyone still doing it with test runs as common as they have become?

I haven't seen parking, but from my window I still see taxis stopping in the LRT lanes frequently in front of the terminal, and plenty use it as a right turn lane too...I even saw one driver use it as a through lane for two whole blocks.

(11-24-2018, 11:35 AM)timc Wrote: I was on Columbia Street last night, between Fischer-Hallman and Erbsville, and I noted that we are still not clearing the protected bike lanes of snow this winter. Am I wrong in understanding that they should be plowed?

No, you're not wrong. Definitely ask @CityWaterloo and possibly some Councillors, what's happening.

Effective enforcement of current bylaws would make a bigger difference than larger fines (that are not enforced), methinks.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »