Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
I’m serious!

I love bicycles. Riding them, looking at them, working on them.. totally addicted. 2/3 of the way through “The Dancing Chain”.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
Are you familiar with rule #12?

Quote:Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.

While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.
(From http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#12)
(02-21-2018, 05:35 PM)Canard Wrote: My main bike (2016 Trek Verve 3) has a 3x8 gear setup - 3 sprockets on the front (28t, 38t, 48t) and an 8-speed cassette on the back (11t-32t). I never, ever change the front one; it’s always on the 38t (middle) sprocket.  I am not looking for an explanation on why I am a terrible person for riding like this.  Smile  It is my personal preference - I ride very casually and have more than enough range with the cassette in the back with that single centre chainring up front.

I’ve been reading about this recent obsession with “1x” (One By) setups and I like the idea of just removing the larger and smaller sprockets, front derailleur, and front shifter from the handlebars. Just looks so nice and clean.

Mine is the same, because the front derailleur is seized up and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. :-D I have thought of doing the same sort of thing.
But doesn't not shifting the front derailleur achieve the same thing, without actually removing the extra sprockets? Not as clean visually, but functionally basically the same?
Yeah, I guess. Sometimes it's fun to play with things though.
What timc said!
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
Removing the shifter, extra chainrings and the derailleur cuts weight. Marginal gains!
Fair enough. Smile
I do ride a single-speed bike in summer. It would make sense to ride one in winter as well, but that's not what I have. The summer bike is relatively light. I don't remember if it actually has multiple sprockets in front or not. In back there is a bit of a special setup and it does not have multiple sprockets; there are spacers instead.
Personally, I wouldn't ride anything but a 1x bike. Even the gravel bike i'm purchasing has a SRAM Rival 1x groupset, so road(ish) bikes have started to see the 1x equipment creeping in. As you said it's a much cleaner look, fewer levers on the front bars and essentially no dropped chains. I do come from a mountain biking background though, so I may be biased. Smile