Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
haha I think heels are already hard enough to walk in, can't imagine doing it with a cleat stuck to the bottom! Smile
(10-02-2017, 10:16 AM)clasher Wrote: I don't buy into the idea of pulling up. The only reason I like clipless is because it keeps my feet from sliding off in heavy rains. I bashed my shin up pretty good in the middle of a night on a 400K when I kept sliding off the pedals. This article makes some good points in favour of flats. I ride flats around town and when I mountain bike. My city bike is set up with a low gear, 36x16, so I get a lot of spinning practise in, and I generally try to keep my cadence on the road around 90 instead of mashing around in higher gears... saves my knees, mostly, but apparently it's more efficient too.

Get yourself a pair of Five Ten shoes (http://www.fiveten.com) ... no more slippage! As someone who exclusively uses flats, I won't ride without them!
They also make good climbing shoes
So I went online to see what I could find about clipless efficiency. Wow! A lot of angry people arguing for and against. So I went for a ride this morning to see if in fact I am pulling up at any time. Note that I ride an aluminum frame full suspension cross country mountain bike with clipless pedals. My rides these days consist of mostly packed gravel, fairly hilly and windy trails. This morning a I rode the Grand River trail behind Bingemans. I observed that whenever I was riding of flat trails that I was not using any upward pulling action. I did notice that when climbing inclines and speeding up after slowing down for a curve, that I do use a pulling up action as also pushing down. This is by no means a scientific study but only my own personal observations.
Totally going to get an Omafiets with clipless pedals Big Grin
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
I suggest adding TT bars for improved aerodynamics. Tongue
Almost punched out someone's passenger side window today!

Was biking along Frederick, heading East, just before Edna. Cars had backed up in the left-turn lane so cars in the straight-through lane were crowding into the bike lane. Right next to me, a car decides it doesn't want to wait and almost drives right into me. I have never felt so much rage! I brought my fist up and stopped myself at the last second, but man. I was ready to seriously blow that window right out!

I figure 1 bad experience in 17 months of cycling is pretty good though, all told.

Just felt like venting.

Was a really nice evening for a ride, although my lungs are not ready for this cold weather. Sad
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
Not Suggesting that anyone should do this but years ago I had someone cut me off on purpose. I raced up to the next stop light beside him and opened the palm of my hand as wide as I could and slapped the passenger door. No damage but makes one hell of a noise inside the car. Scared the hell out of the guy.
I just watched a YouTube video the other day of a woman who was almost hit by a van, then when she was complaining to them they were trying to smack her and were in general taunting her.  She caught up when they parked and ripped off the passenger mirror and tossed it before speeding off.

The whole thing was filmed by a dash cam, and the driver when he pulled up alongside the van said "You totally deserved that".  Was a fun watch!

Coke

I would go find a link, but YouTube is like a vacuum, and I have other things to do today! Smile
I've seen that video, too!

I (stupidly) crashed yesterday on the Schneider Creek Greenway/in Homer Watson Park.  I had left really early for work (6am?) and it was still pitch black out.  I hadn't ever gone through the forested MUT's that early before, and didn't realize just how pitch black it was.  I was overriding my headlight (dumb dumb dumb) and thought someone was chasing me (realizing later it was the leaves crunching under my wheels, behind me).  Laid my bike down at a good ~30 km/h on a sharp curve I forgot about until the last minute and smashed my head (helmet) and jaw off the pavement.  I reluctantly let my coworkers take me to the hospital to get checked out when they realized I wasn't following what they were saying and I couldn't read anything on my computer screen. Smile  Moderate concussion, they tell me.

So, learn from my stupidity:  Don't override your headlights, don't get freaked out in the dark woods, and be careful on wet leaves!  I was looking for an excuse to get a better/newer helmet (maybe one with MiPS?), anyway!
What does "override your headlights" mean? Going fast enough your light isn't illuminating where you need to look?
Yeah, exactly. It’s a term I remembered from Young Driver’s when I took their course in the late 90’s - driving too fast for what is illuminated ahead of you. The idea is that you moderate your seed so you can always stop if you see something. If your stopping time exceeds that boundary ahead of you, you’re “overdriving”. If visibility decreases (snow/rain) because your lighting is occluded, you slow down.

In this case, my fear of crackling leaves behind me exceeded my headlight illumination boundary. Smile
I remember that same term from Young Driver's in early 00s. Also applies to going around sharp corners (though physics should play the biggest role there, at night lights wind up reducing safe distance) and cresting a hill.