Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
This may be old news, but I got something in the mail today from the city (Waterloo) about putting in bike lanes on Lincoln from Weber to Mayfield once the last coat of pavement is put down. Eventually the lanes will go all the way to University.

Apologies if this info has already been posted.

(04-10-2017, 12:03 PM)Canard Wrote: See that's the thing!  I wasn't sure where I should be.  I was coming from the West (inside Western).  So there were 2 traffic lanes - a right-turn and a left-turn.  I kept as far to the right as I could on the red (waved a couple of cars through that weren't sure if they should go around me to turn right on red - sure can, go for it) and then when it went green, I just made sure the person behind me (a city bus) knew my intentions.

Coming back the other way (into Western), I made good eye contact with the driver who was opposite of me, waiting to turn left.  We both waved at each other, so a big positive experience overall.  I love when stuff like that happens and it all just works out and everyone's happy!

I also really liked this section: https://goo.gl/maps/mvoJntqm2z62

...It's like our LRT gauntlet tracks, but for bikes. Big Grin

For the intersection, it occurs to me that the ideal solution would be for there to be straight-through bicycle lanes, just as there would be straight-through motor vehicle lanes if it were a regular 4-way intersection. Still, it’s a pretty nice setup.

The bridge is great too. I like the idea that because the bridge is narrow, it doesn’t mean the bicycle lanes disappear; instead, it means that motor vehicles need to deal with the presence of bicycle traffic. It’s called balance, or give-and-take, people!

Thanks for the report.
Right! To me, it feels like it's not so much "I'm a cyclist on a car bridge" as it's "I'm a motorist on a cyclist bridge". The psychology of the paint markings.
I love it too. I'd like to see that more in places where bike lanes end for short bits due to constraints in the ROW. This sort of marking encourages motorists to actively look for cycling traffic.
(04-10-2017, 05:32 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: This may be old news, but I got something in the mail today from the city (Waterloo) about putting in bike lanes on Lincoln from Weber to Mayfield once the last coat of pavement is put down. Eventually the lanes will go all the way to University.

It's not old news here. I got the notice last week, but it hasn't been posted on the city's website (I think they post them 14 days before, and the PIC is on the 27th). If you are interested in seeing bike lanes on Lincoln Road, then I suggest you go. The original construction plan had bike lanes, and they were not installed last year because of local opposition, I think mostly over loss of on-street parking. If similar levels of opposition arise, I think they may just shelve the idea.
(04-11-2017, 10:36 AM)timc Wrote:
(04-10-2017, 05:32 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: This may be old news, but I got something in the mail today from the city (Waterloo) about putting in bike lanes on Lincoln from Weber to Mayfield once the last coat of pavement is put down. Eventually the lanes will go all the way to University.

It's not old news here. I got the notice last week, but it hasn't been posted on the city's website (I think they post them 14 days before, and the PIC is on the 27th). If you are interested in seeing bike lanes on Lincoln Road, then I suggest you go. The original construction plan had bike lanes, and they were not installed last year because of local opposition, I think mostly over loss of on-street parking. If similar levels of opposition arise, I think they may just shelve the idea.

If the links come up, please post them here as well.  We do need to push on this advocacy.
@ timc

While I don't bike (in the city anyway) I am all in favour of bike lanes. If I can go, I will do so to show my support.

Is there in fact street parking on Lincoln? I'm going to have to watch and see as I can't picture it.

Yes, there is parking all along Lincoln Road. I don't see it used much, which makes it puzzling to me, but it could just be the times of day that I look. I also can't find a Google street view that shows any vehicles parked on Lincoln. I wonder if there is any hard data available about parking utilization.

On the other hand, all of the side streets in that area (Mayfield Ave, Margaret Ave, Marshall St, Ellis Cr) also have on-street parking available, so while it may be a bit less convenient, it really shouldn't be that big a deal.
Surprised this didn't show up here yet!

Identifying a Province-wide Cycling Network - Ministry of Transportation Ontario
The Lincoln Road bike lane PIC info has been posted on the City of Waterloo site:

http://www.waterloo.ca/en/news/index.asp...ee0b724e12

The PIC is on April 27th at Moses Springer Community Centre.

The timing of this seems odd to me, because according to a separate notice I received (but I can't find on the City's site), I believe that work is actually starting next week, and will continue for three weeks. And according to the site, staff will be going to Council on May 29th to recommend the necessary by-law changes.

So, presumably, by the time the by-law change takes place, the road work will have been long done, and then crews will have to come back to paint new lines. Is that how that works?
(This might be better in a thread called "Cycling outside of Waterloo Region" in the "Outside of Waterloo Region" area of the forum - if it is, mods please feel free to let me know or move it.)

Yesterday I did my first 50 km ride, on the Brantford to Hamilton Rail Trail.  The trail follows the original route of the Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway (TH&B).  We were at the Dundas Valley Conservation Area earlier in the day, and crossed over the trail while exploring on foot - it looked so good, that after dropping off my other half back at home, I popped my bike on my rack and headed all the way back!

Starting at the Dundas Valley Conservation Area, heading toward Brantford, the trail rises ~110 m in the first 7 kilometres.  As I left, this was a good reminder that the "home stretch" would be very rewarding!  The remaining 23 km into Brantford it drops back down about 35 km - in other words, hardly noticeable and generally very flat (hey, it's a railway route, remember).  Coming back I only then realized I'd actually had a very gentle tailwind the whole way out - but it was just enough to really knock down my average speed and I was quite tuckered out for the last 10 km, but that long downhill run for the final bit really helped.

The surface quality of the trail is top notch - it's crushed limestone (I think?), and it is better maintained than what I remember the Paris to Cambridge trail being, with virtually no rutting or erosion.  I highly recommend checking it out if you have the ability to get there!

The trail centre inside the Dundas Valley Conservation Area.  There are lots of other smaller parking lots with room for ~10 cars all along the route, if you're not keen on the $10 fee.

I'd love to come back here and do this trail again when all the foliage is in.

This is about as "open" as it gets - there are one or two kilometres where it goes through farmland on both sides, but even then there's usually trees at least on one side.

Some segments of the trail are just hard packed earth, like this - which is so smooth and quiet to ride on!

My trusty steed(s).  I am so glad I bought this rack!  Can't recommend it enough, if you're looking for a trailer-hitch mounted bike rack.  Bike mounts and de-mounts in less than 10 seconds, and you're on your way, so no excuses not to get out and explore!  Rock solid.

Every now and then I like to record my rides - so here you are, my outbound run.

I was running in the Dundas Valley Conservation Area two weeks ago and it is a gem; I wish Waterloo Region had a park of its calibre.

Looks like a lovely ride!
I'm also a huge fan of the Dundas Valley section of the trail, I rode it a lot when I was going to school in Ancaster, I would ride from the lot on highway 53 down to the Harbour and sometimes I would ride all the way around to the trail that runs near the QEW. I'm hoping to check out the entire Cambridge to Port Dover trail this year.

@clasher I have been considering a similar trip this summer or to Hamilton and GO bus home.
Expensive day for our household, but we became a 2-bike family today! Very pleased to finally get my other half into biking - we celebrated Earth Day by taking a 20 km jaunt along some of my favourite local trails. He did great!

Have already ordered a second tray for my 1Up Rack that I am always raving about. Smile Tomorrow we're planing on going for another ride somewhere in Southwestern Ontario.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »