Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
Wow, I’ll let them know.

In crash 1, the driver didn’t stop, and my coworker (cut up and bruised) had to chase them down to tell them what they did (he didn’t know).

In crash 2 (roundabout), the driver stopped right away and got out and she helped him.

They are both like “Oh well” and I’m trying to push for them to report.

Out of curiousity, were they traveling through the roundabout on vehicle lanes, or the pedestrian crossing?
When we don't report, I feel that this hurts statistics politicians rely upon for decision-making. "Oh, well no one was hit by a car while riding a bike, we don't need more safety."
View - that's exactly what I said!!

Jamincan - traveling in the vehicle lanes. He is the fastest and most capable cyclist I know (but I haven't seen you ride in person! Tongue ).
Tried using the uptown cycling lanes at 8:30am (SB). Vehicle parked in cycling lane, no ticket.

Went for a walk at lunch (1:00pm). Vehicle parked in SB cycling lane (different spot, different vehicle); no ticket.

What does two weeks of dedicated enforcement actually mean?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(07-11-2018, 01:13 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Tried using the uptown cycling lanes at 8:30am (SB). Vehicle parked in cycling lane, no ticket.

Went for a walk at lunch (1:00pm). Vehicle parked in SB cycling lane (different spot, different vehicle); no ticket.

What does two weeks of dedicated enforcement actually mean?

Starts Monday from 8-5 weekdays is my best guess ... seems silly they don't do cyclist lane ticketing 24/7 and 365 days a week. They do parking tickets that way.
It would be interesting, to me, to find a car parked in a bike lane, and then to park my bike sideways in the adjacent King St. Lane, and compare reaction and enforcement.

One car in the lane today at 6:45pm. Flashers were on. Gee thanks.
The Record has run a piece about the issues with the UpTown Bike Lanes:

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/873...rve-ahead/
If it’s not cars...

https://twitter.com/canardiain/status/10...71206?s=21
There was a piece in the Toronto Star today about garbage trucks using part of bicycle lanes during pick-ups (and passing over the plastic bollard thingys that define the lane). The pay wall shut me down, but apparently the City of Toronto is OK with that.
(07-12-2018, 06:07 PM)panamaniac Wrote: There was a piece in the Toronto Star today about garbage trucks using part of bicycle lanes during pick-ups (and passing over the plastic bollard thingys that define the lane).  The pay wall shut me down, but apparently the City of Toronto is OK with that.

To be fair, garbage trucks normally obstruct the curb lane. In this case, the curb lane is the bicycle lane. Given that the garbage should not be in the bicycle lane, and that the garbage truck needs to pass as close as possible to the garbage, I’m not actually convinced that the City is wrong, even though my initial reaction was the usual “keep your stinkin’ motor vehicles out of my bicycle lane”.

Here is the link to the Star article:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/07...esign.html
So what’s the solution for UpTown?

(07-11-2018, 04:42 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: It would be interesting, to me, to find a car parked in a bike lane, and then to park my bike sideways in the adjacent King St. Lane, and compare reaction and enforcement.

I would try this if I had time.  Or just stop for a water break in the middle of the traffic lanes.  I would assume an officer (likely not by-law) would be by shortly.  Id say, I just stopped for a water break, but the car and I switched spots and there is no room for me there.  I'll go back to my lane if s/he is willing to move back to the vehicle lanes.

Although I assume some road raged idiot would just run me over, so maybe its not a great idea....

Coke
I still think this was the reason God invented keying .... Wink
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »