Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Region's Top 10 Buildings
There are/were a number of good modernist buildings from the 1950s-early 1960s in Kitchener as well. Eastwood Collegiate on Weber St. was built in the 1950s to mimic modern industrial architecture - photos of the original building are quite striking.

[Image: 27_Eastwood.jpg]
(11-07-2014, 03:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: There are/were a number of good modernist buildings from the 1950s-early 1960s in Kitchener as well.  Eastwood Collegiate on Weber St. was built in the 1950s to mimic modern industrial architecture - photos of the original building are quite striking.

Picture above for your reference. Not my cup of tea.
I find it very solid.  I like the break with pre-war styles and the sort of "progressive" attitude that it seems to project - very Kitchener of the time.

That said, I would not include it in a "top 10" list.
I really like the Ratz-Bechtel Funeral Home on King Street. A couple of years ago I had the chance to go though the building during Doors Open Waterloo Region.
Here's my updated list incorporating the many suggestions from here, together with my rationale:

•     Galt Collegiate Institute (1906)  Nice architecture
  •     Kaufman Building (1908) Nice building, historically significant design by Albert Kahn, nice conversion to apartments
  •     Mutual Life building on King and Union (1912) Nice architecture, plus headquarters of a major insurance company
  •     Seagram Museum (1984) nice building which marked the beginning of CCGG, Perimeter, CIGI and Barrel Yards
  •     Davis Centre (1988) First modern, cutting edge architecture in the city in many years
  •     Kitchener City Hall (1993) Award winning architecture comes to town
  •     Perimeter Institute (2004) A landmark, architecturally still the best building in the region according to many
  •     The Tannery (2007) A nice building but more importantly, the beginning of the Kitchener downtown renaissance
  •     Cambridge City hall (2008) A nice building, perhaps the beginning of a Cambridge renaissance
  •     Bauer Lofts (2009) First high density, mixed use development in the core. A major landmark and the shape of things to come.

Dropped: CIGI, Burt Mathews Hall, CCGG, all GG award winners. So is the Waterloo regional museum, which is also missing. If the list was on architectural grounds alone I would place three of those back instead of the Tannery, Bauer Lofts and the Davis Centre.
Since mid-century architecture tends to get a bad rap, I'll throw in my two favourite 1960s buildings in Waterloo Region: the brutalist Math & Computer building, and the international style 305 King Street West.
Here are my 10 (in no particular order)

- Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex (doesn't get the attention it should...from the outside for a recreation centre, it's pretty impressive and I challenge you to find another municipal indoor pool like it anywhere in SW Ontario)
- CIGI
- New Apostolic Church on Margaret Avenue
- Kitchener City Hall
- Sun Life/Clarica/Mutual Life Head Office
- Galt Collegiate Institute
- Mike and Ophelia Lazaridis Quantum Nano Building, UW
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Cambridge (not necessarily looks, but sophistication; I've toured the interior a few years ago)
- Perimeter Institute
- new Consolidated Court House

I would like to add:

305 King Street (at Water) - is it still the MCL building?

I worked in that building when it was still the Canada Trust building (prior to that it was the Waterloo Trust Building). When I worked there I was told, at the time of it's construction, it was the tallest building in Waterloo Region and they would conduct tours to the top floor for the general public to see the view.
(11-09-2014, 02:27 PM)Shawn Wrote: I worked in that building when it was still the Canada Trust building (prior to that it was the Waterloo Trust Building).  When I worked there I was told, at the time of it's construction, it was the tallest building in Waterloo Region and they would conduct tours to the top floor for the general public to see the view.

You mean this?

[Image: B821458572Z.1_20131126204430_000_GNR14FH...ontent.jpg]

Waterloo Trust tower was called a skyscraper 
Quote:The trust company used the first four floors. Atop the building a 25-ton neon sign displayed the words Waterloo Trust in four directions — with letters that were almost two metres high.

"Kitchener's tallest building will be set back 40 feet (12 metres) from King Street, providing an area for landscaping," the Record newspaper reported in a 1962 story announcing the project. "There will be several steps up to the main floor level, putting the building on a pedestal."

Bonus questions for trivia buffs: 
Where was Waterloo Trust's main branch in Waterloo? 
What is at that location today?
(11-09-2014, 03:03 PM)ookpik Wrote: You mean this?

[Image: B821458572Z.1_20131126204430_000_GNR14FH...ontent.jpg]

Bingo!  That's exactly it! Smile   I worked on the 10th floor - and although I didn't have a window office - due to the floor to ceiling windows, even the storage / filing room had a great view.  I was on the North side of the building and would look out towards Waterloo.
Kitchener
Victoria Public School
Kitchener City Hall
Lang Tannery
The Breithaupt Block
Bread and Roses Co-operative Homes, 307 Queen st
Waterloo Region Museum
Kaufman Building
UW School of Pharmacy
TD Canada Trust building at 55 King St. W
Kitchener Memorial Auditorium
Preston Library

Cambridge
Cambridge Mill
Former Galt Post Office
Former American Standard complex
Galt Collegiate Institute
Gore Mutual Insurance Company head office
Blacksmith Lofts
Central Presbyterian Church
Cambridge Arts Theater
Mill Race Amphitheater
Galt Public Library

Waterloo
Sunlife building
The Bauer complex
UW William G. Davis Computer Research Centre
Perimeter Institute
Waterloo Recreational Complex
Basillie School of International Affairs
Manulife Financial 500 King st N
Seagram Lofts
Centre for International Governance Innovation
Huether Hotel

Outside the tri-cities
Castle Kilbride

Honourable mention:
St. Matthew's Lutheran church Kitchener
Waterloo Region courthouse
The Walper Hotel
Church of the good shepherd Kitchener
Krug Furniture building
Former Hespeler furniture Company building
Zion United Church
Enermodal Engineering head office

Waterloo Region top 10:
Kitchener City Hall
Lang Tannery
The Breithaupt Block
Kaufman Building
UW School of Pharmacy

Sunlife/Mutual Life building
Castle Kilbride
Centre for International Governance Innovation
Cambridge Mill
Former American Standard complex aka Riverbank Lofts
Waterloo Trust was on Erb near King St, no?

The branch I remember best was the old main branch at King and Ontario Sts - it shared a beautiful red brick building with Walkers Department Store that was later covered over with bland grey concrete panels. This was before the Dolly Parton building went up.
(11-09-2014, 06:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Waterloo Trust was on Erb near King St, no?

Bingo! I was 99.9% certain it was in what's Hatashita Jewelers on the corner but Waterloo Trust and Savings Company, Waterloo, Ontario says 8 Erb St W in what today is the Titanium night club. 

See also this Waterloo Trust and Savings Company Annual Report 1958 and especially the page that describes their first "Neighbourhood" branch at Belmont and Claremont. That branch is still alive and well today. (In fact I bank there.) 

Also note the extended hours on Thursdays and Fridays as well as the drive-in teller's window which is no longer there. Thankfully the latter feature is long gone.

(11-07-2014, 06:52 PM)jgsz Wrote: I really like the Ratz-Bechtel Funeral Home on King Street.  A couple of years ago I had the chance to go though the building during Doors Open Waterloo Region.

I took in this building in 2011.

[Image: IMG_3071.JPG]
(11-09-2014, 10:50 PM)ookpik Wrote:  8 Erb St W in what today is the Titanium night club. 

Titanium is no longer. That address houses the Taco Farm restaurant.